Why become a member? ×

Replacement Pickguard for MIM Jazz Bass

rbatts2000

Hi all

I have a mid-90s MIM Jazz bass and I am looking to upgrade it slightly in the looks department. As you can see from the image below, my jazz doesn't have the usual pickguard/knob/knob metal plate combination. Instead, it has a rather fetching all white pickguard which I'm not too keen on.

[attachment=2590:Jazz.JPG]

I've had a quick search through the forum but I can't find an answer to my question. Basically, I'm pretty sure that a replacement pickguard/metal plate will not match 100% to the existing screw holes. Therefore, is it easy/safe to drill new holes in the body? Has anyone done anything similar and have any words of wisdom to pass on?

Also (forgive the noobie question), is it just a matter of removing the old knobs and putting the new ones on or is there anything I need to look out for when buying replacements?

Many thanks in advance.

Rick

[quote name='rbatts2000' post='68796' date='Oct 2 2007, 08:17 PM']Hi all

I have a mid-90s MIM Jazz bass and I am looking to upgrade it slightly in the looks department. As you can see from the image below, my jazz doesn't have the usual pickguard/knob/knob metal plate combination. Instead, it has a rather fetching all white pickguard which I'm not too keen on.

[attachment=2590:Jazz.JPG]

I've had a quick search through the forum but I can't find an answer to my question. Basically, I'm pretty sure that a replacement pickguard/metal plate will not match 100% to the existing screw holes. Therefore, is it easy/safe to drill new holes in the body? Has anyone done anything similar and have any words of wisdom to pass on?

Also (forgive the noobie question), is it just a matter of removing the old knobs and putting the new ones on or is there anything I need to look out for when buying replacements?

Many thanks in advance.

Rick[/quote]

Hi rick

Can't help you with the plate question but knobs come in two sizes of shaft, USA ones (1/4) and Asian ones (6mm), and two types, split shaft which are push fit and solid shaft which have a fixing set screw in the side.
You'll need to get the right ones. The US ones are marginally bigger and I believe some MIM fenders have pots sourced in Asia so it's not an automatic thing.
If you have a micrometer you can measure the shaft diameter, they are a bit close to use a normal rule.. or you can just get a set and see if you bought the right ones .. They are usually pretty cheap.
There's loads of sources for things like plates and knobs on the parts supplier's thread here
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=248"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=248[/url]

Many thanks for the responses. I have ordered the parts needed but when they'll be delivered is another story (thanks Royal Mail! :)).

I'm pretty resigned to the fact that I'll have to do some minor drilling to create some new holes. Does anyone have any hints/tips/horror stories they wouldn't mind sharing with me?

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='rbatts2000' post='69996' date='Oct 5 2007, 09:22 AM']Many thanks for the responses. I have ordered the parts needed but when they'll be delivered is another story (thanks Royal Mail! :)).

I'm pretty resigned to the fact that I'll have to do some minor drilling to create some new holes. Does anyone have any hints/tips/horror stories they wouldn't mind sharing with me?

Thanks again.[/quote]

I fitted a new pickguard to my 2002 MIM fretless jazz a short while ago, I did have to put another screw in between the neck pickup and the neck itself, I had a spare screw from another fender bass and it was a simple job of making a small pilot hole with a drill and gently screwing it in, the screws are small so I guess you *could* get away without drilling, although I'd always be scared of splitting the wood that way. If you don't want to add the centre screw, you could always find something decorative to cover the hole with?

I also had to cut / sand the cutout where the pickguard fits around the neck, but how much (if at all) will naturally depend on how well shaped your replacement is.

Russ.

Edited by Painless