Why become a member? ×

Gibson Les Paul Standard

Right then, I need to free up some cash and would like a second SG. I have my eye on brad1980's SG on these very pages - I need to sell one of my 2 LPs to free up some funds to buy it and leave me with some money to get cracking on my business.

The one I would prefer to sell:
1997 Les Paul Standard - Tobacco (or possibly Vintage) Sunburst - I haven't lifted the pickup out to see what colour code is marked on it. In lovely condition, there are a few light marks, but no chips, dents, knocks or big scratches. Plain maple top and I think it's a one piece back - There are a few pick scratches and some "button" rash on the back that has marked, but not penetrated, the nitro. On my kitchen scales, it weighs 10lb 6oz and comes with a tan Gibson hardcase. I would be looking for in the region of £1250 for this.

The one I would prefer to keep:
2003 Les Paul Standard - Desertburst - this was posted on here some time ago when I needed to raise some funds, but (un)fortunately for me, I managed to sell my LPC. Now, this has been my go-to guitar since I have had it (which is getting on for a couple of years at least) and when I got hold of it, it had a Rio Grande Zebra pickup in the bridge and an original Burstbucker #1 at the neck - I took these out and had a pair of Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates put in their place, with nickel covers, which not only make it look like the should, but make it sound better - more articulate, warmer, sweeter and altogether nicer. I also put a pair of Dunlop Straploks and a set of Graphtech saddles. 9lb 8oz on my scales, has a 50s neck, a light flame to the top and, as it has been extensively used, there is some wear to it. Most of the following was done before I got my hands on it, but here is a list of marks and what have you:

Lots of button/buckle rash - again not through the finish, but it is very evident.
Binding has cracked - presumably as it's aged, but the other LP doesn't have cracked binding, so God knows how that happened - it was like it when I got it
There is a bizarre swirly scratch in the top that was there when I bought it - again, I have no idea how this happened or who would do such a thing - they are just in the top coat of the lacquer and show up when angled at the light, but you can feel them when you run your finger over them.
Lots of light pick scratches and tiny dints including two, <5mm that have chipped the paint on the bottom edge.
A dint and a chp in the binding - 2-3mm - on the bottom edge of the top (if that makes sense)
A pin prick hole in the fingerboard at the 11th fret between the 1st and second strings - again I have no idea who did this or how it happened - it was like it when I got it.
A small dink on the corner of the headstock and a mark on the back - drummer related issues.

This guitar was sold to me as mint so imagine my surprise when it turned up and it was far from it, (although that was sadly not my last experience of that sort of thing!!) so it's better to let you know about these things - it doesn't affect how it plays and the reason it would be the last of the two that I would sell, is because I would hate to wreck the nice tobacco LP and so this DB one will remain my workhorse guitar if possible.

The Tobacco one will be up on ebay later today, but if it doesn't sell, the DB one will be available for sale afterwards and I would be looking for in the region of £1150 for it, so if you are interested, please let me know and I'll get back to you if the other one doesn't sell.

Some pics below and if you want a cheesy shot of the guitar when it had the zebra pickup in, go [url="http://www.theveneers.com/#/look-at-us/4532056469"]here[/url]

this one shows the dink on the right hand corner of the headstock - nothing much, but it's there

PM me for more info or send me an email through my profile.
Ta

Edited by john_the_bass