Why become a member? ×

laptop + gear suggestions

Ou7shined

[quote name='cheddatom' post='643477' date='Nov 2 2009, 03:26 PM']Well the only time my recording set up has been down was 2 weeks ago when the PSU blew. I was absolutely sh*tting myself as I hadn't backed up in a couple of days and I literally saw a flash and some smoke coming out of my PC. Luckily it was just the PSU and I fixed it with £20 and 20 minutes. Would it have been that simple with a mac? Or would their magical indestructable PSUs never blow?[/quote]

Its hard to tell. Electrics can always go. PC or mac. But again in the same scenario if its just the PSU then your drives are usually safe.

G

[quote name='cheddatom' post='645490' date='Nov 4 2009, 05:25 PM']yeh, I meant more would it be so cheap and easy to replace the PSU? I wouldn't know.[/quote]

Really depends on the mac, some of the older ones used standard power supplies. however alot use either external laptop style adaptors or its built in such a the current iMacs, Pretty sure it would cost more on the mac and take longer.

G

[quote name='cheddatom' post='643477' date='Nov 2 2009, 03:26 PM']Well the only time my recording set up has been down was 2 weeks ago when the PSU blew. I was absolutely sh*tting myself as I hadn't backed up in a couple of days and I literally saw a flash and some smoke coming out of my PC. Luckily it was just the PSU and I fixed it with £20 and 20 minutes. Would it have been that simple with a mac? Or would their magical indestructable PSUs never blow?[/quote]

Easy to fix on a mac pro or powermac, but very expensive.

Pain in the arse to fix on an imac! Mine is external so just a straight swap - but still expensive!

I had that happen on a PC at work - flash came out of the back of the case - not good.