Why become a member? ×

Red Light Fever

Zombywoof

I've just got home from a long days recording. I'd never heard the track before and the writer didn't really have much of a clue for a bassline. We have a few run throughs and I come up with something half decent that the guy's really pleased with. Another few run throughs and it's really cooking. The drummer and the guitarist are warmed up nicely, the scene is set, we're all ready to go. And then, the 'record' button gets pushed, red light on, and I just couldn't get my act together. five takes and not a single one without some silly mistake.

The producer and the writer are really happy and can edit a decent take together but I'm not happy with myself. I've over played in places and in others I've played unnecessary fills all due to red light fever.

Anyone else suffer from this affliction?

Edited by Zombywoof

went into the recording studio for the first time this week. just to do a sort of protest song about local works thats closing down with the loss of 150 jobs, the song we were suppossed to do is a welsh folk song given permission by the writer to alter the words. trouble was, the choir. who were singing over, deecided thebacking wanted seven verses plus a chorus after a verse , which meant the song was nearly eight minutes long! the first cut was a no no. second was ok untill the last chorus when i lost it. no wrong notes, just variation.bugger doing it again. it was eleven at night and i was in work for six. so sod it i'm going home, if the song was three and half minutes . no problem, but ever since then it's been bugging me. should i have stayed and done it again. ah well. see what it turns out like.

Take everything, and don't expect to not have to do the odd drop in, although modern editing has reduced the need for even that. Playing perfect takes comes with knowing stuff really well and rehearsing, or being very good at reading.

It's surprising that when you adopt that ethos just how much you will get right, simply because you've removed the pressure with your attitude.
I'll repeat, everything you play should go down, the fact that you're less pressured should increase the accuracy of your performance and if it doesn't you've got lots of material to edit.

I did a session for a producer in Brixton. I was booked for 1 song in a 2-3 hr session. I had never heard the tracks until I was there but had given them enough for the 1st song within about 20 mns of recording time... I went on to do another 4 tunes some of which were just first takes, one run through. Why you may ask is this information possibly helpful to your question...? well I hope it gives you hope because emphatically YES, I feel like I suffer red light fever, but experience has led me to devise the coping mechanisms detailed above.

In a sentence:
if you're relaxed you'll perform better, anxiety prevents relaxation.