Why become a member? ×

Bought because of the bassist

Rich

Following on from the Gary Numan/Pino thread, with the mention of Joan Armatrading... this got me thinking, how many solo artists' albums have you ever bought purely because of the musicians (specifically the bassist) on there, rather than because you like the solo artist themselves? Example -- I can take or leave Joni Mitchell, in fact she annoys the hell out of me a lot of the time, but I bought 'Mingus' purely to hear Jaco's work on it.
This doesn't count if the solo artist in question [i]is[/i] the bassist..! :)

Rattus Norvegicus, The Stranglers. JJB! Not so much his playing, but the sound. Imho, he brought the bass to the foreground and raised it from a supporting instrument to a lead. How many people were inspired to pick up the bass, purely because of [i]that sound[/i] JJB produced?

World Machine, Level 42. Mr King. Again, he changed the role of the bass to that of lead.

G3 Live, Manhattan, Roscoe Beck. An astonishingly effortless player with an enormous range of sounds and styles.

Thinking about this thread has made me realise how much I listen to the bass playing on albums and how that colours my view of music. For instance, I bought Alison Moyet's album, Alf. Not just for her voice, but also the synth bass lines. Same goes for Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper, a subtle synth bass line that lifts the song.

Edited by MSL