Why become a member? ×

Tuning my Wal to ADGC

MoJoKe

OK guys, I need some help here!

I've spent 32 years playing rock and roll, funk, soul, just about every techninque except tapping, and its time to start!!

Mr Wooten appears to use his fretless Fedora tuned to ADGC (or maybe not? Answers on a postcard please!). I don't want to mess with my JV P Bass as its a classic, and my main gigging bass is a Dean Edge 5, which I also wouldn't want to compromise. I cannot afford another bass at the moment, so that leaves my Mach I Wal fretless.

I'm not worried about it being fretless, the slapping sound has always been fantastic, but then I have always used roundwound strings (the fretboard must be made of some incredible space age material.... no, I do know its wood really :) ), as I had it built for me in 1987, and it has never needed refinishing!

My concern is tuning, and what type/gauge strings, so the neck isn't strained, so simply retuning with the Elixir Lights (45-100) just isn't a very sensible option.

I think I will possibly try half or groundwounds (sliding with fingertips looks kinda abrasive otherwise!!), so:-

a ) What gauge and type should I be using?
b ) Have I gone mad thinking this is at all sensible? or
c ) Should I really just go out and find a cheap 6'er on e-bay to experiment with instead?

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='Mokl' post='68084' date='Oct 1 2007, 12:36 PM']I might be wrong, but doesn't he use a shorter scale tenor bass for that tuning?[/quote]

I might also be wrong, but this looks like a longscale bass to me:-

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9a4ThBNacY"]Victor Wooten Playing Norwegian Wood on YouTube[/url]

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='alexclaber' post='68668' date='Oct 2 2007, 02:35 PM']You could just use the top four strings from a six string set, though it's probably cheaper to order four singles.

If I were doing it I'd used 30-40-55-75 which will give fairly balanced tensions.

Alex[/quote]

Thats all useful, thanks chaps! I'll update you again!