Why become a member? ×

Another neck rattle thread

Raving_camel

Hey, I recently got a Rockbass 'Vette and i've started to notice a problem. Some days the neck doesn't rattle, some days it rattles only when I play a D (on any string) and some days it's nearly unplayable.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pvUjURwNuU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pvUjURwNuU[/url]

I made a video so you can hear the noise. This video was taken on a very bad day for rattling. On the video it sounds like fret buzz, but if you listen carefully you can hear fret buzz once in a while, to prove there are two different sounds going on. The sound is also followed by a vibration through the neck. I've noticed if I tilt the bass away from myself, the rattle completely stops. If I drop the B string by a half step (sometimes a full step) it helps to calm the rattling. When I detune to a full step down, there's no problems whats so ever. Which leads me to think that lower gauge strings may help? (for standard tuning)

Any input or suggestions? Thanks for reading !

Try going around the bass checking every bolt and screw is tight. Look at the pickup screws as well as the pots themselves. Only needs something to be a little loose and maddening rattles start up.

Also, see if the bridge saddles are seated properly. Sometimes the saddle can be in the right place, but the screw in the saddle isn't tightened down.

It's strange that the bass becomes unplayable though......

I noticed you're in Glasgow, so if that doesn't work send me a PM and I'll be happy to have a look at it for you.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='7string' post='625666' date='Oct 14 2009, 12:29 AM']Try going around the bass checking every bolt and screw is tight. Look at the pickup screws as well as the pots themselves. Only needs something to be a little loose and maddening rattles start up.

Also, see if the bridge saddles are seated properly. Sometimes the saddle can be in the right place, but the screw in the saddle isn't tightened down.

It's strange that the bass becomes unplayable though......

I noticed you're in Glasgow, so if that doesn't work send me a PM and I'll be happy to have a look at it for you.[/quote]

:) I must have missed this post first time around, sorry mate!

I've checked every loose and tightened thing on this bass, the noise comes from the truss rod. If I put something onto the truss (like a screwdriver) and play, the screwdriver resonates at the same frequency as the rattle.

The reason for the bump was this ; I have this bass up for sale and somebody PM'd me asking how much something like this would cost to get fixed? I'm guessing they'd glue round the truss rod. Does anybody have any experience with this or any ideas?

Thanks for reading :rolleyes:

I might have a solution for you. I've only watched this being done (I'll check the details if you want) and haven't done it myself!

The idea is pop off one of the dots on the front of the bass and then drill down so there's a hole to the truss rod channel (don't go through the rod!). Then, using a syringe, pump glue into the channel. When the glue sets the rattle stops.

The best thing is that it costs pennies to do :)

[quote name='7string' post='745444' date='Feb 15 2010, 12:43 AM']I might have a solution for you. I've only watched this being done (I'll check the details if you want) and haven't done it myself!

The idea is pop off one of the dots on the front of the bass and then drill down so there's a hole to the truss rod channel (don't go through the rod!). Then, using a syringe, pump glue into the channel. When the glue sets the rattle stops.

The best thing is that it costs pennies to do :rolleyes:[/quote]

Hey, thanks for the reply. I like that idea, as its only part of the truss rod that appears to be making noise and the drill could go straight to that area. Still, the idea of glueing a truss rod seems rather scary for some reason lol.

I'll forward this on to anybody interested in buying the bass. Thanks again for the 2 replies! :)