Why become a member? ×

Cables: is this bad?

lanark

I guess you mean that the sound from your amp is buzzing and not the lead itself....?

Sounds like either cheap or broken shielding in the lead and is probably down to using cheap leads.

Without spending very silly money (which I have yet to see worth it) contact our own OBBM on here and he'll make your leads for you at a very reasonable price, out of top quality components and not charge the silly price that some brands do for the same stuff.

I use all the same bits (and often source bits from him), I made a lead up for my geetard who now has ditched his very expensive Whirlwind (was £50+) lead in favour of my £12 made up one from decent components.....

:)

If it only buzzes when you touch the strings it sounds to me like your bridge isn't earthed properly or your electrics are not shielded properly. The advice about good quality lead is sound, so may be your first route for investigation - amazing how many people spend hundreds on a good instrument then spoil it all by saving a tenner on a cheap lead, but it may be the shielding or grounding within the guitar. I also get bad buzzing in some rooms where the electrics are 'dirty' - often things like amp situated near refrigerator or where theres a ring mains and lights on dimmer switches - my amp hates dimmer switches!