Why become a member? ×

Am I out of order?

GreeneKing

I wouldn't want to play with a guitarist who had to rehearse solo's. They should be 'in the moment' and spontaneous. Also if you're in a band where you don't think people are taking care of their own business then it just causes resentment. He should practice at home, rehearsal isn't the place to twat about.

[quote name='Zombywoof' post='617394' date='Oct 5 2009, 01:28 PM']I wouldn't want to play with a guitarist who had to rehearse solo's. They should be 'in the moment' and spontaneous.[/quote]

I disagree. A solo can be a spontaneous pice of brilliance but if you are not one of the very few people who can produce one of these every time then a certain amount of preparation is essential.

If your soloist just does the same pentatonic scales evey time or does no building, adds no tension or a story then it's just so much bluster and widdle.

I'd much rather someone worked out a solo they play more or less the same each time for some tunes.

Peter's man is playing covers though so he'll have a solo to copy, I guess.

[quote name='OldGit' post='617482' date='Oct 5 2009, 02:43 PM']I disagree. A solo can be a spontaneous pice of brilliance but if you are not one of the very few people who can produce one of these every time then a certain amount of preparation is essential.

If your soloist just does the same pentatonic scales evey time or does no building, adds no tension or a story then it's just so much bluster and widdle.

I'd much rather someone worked out a solo they play more or less the same each time for some tunes.

Peter's man is playing covers though so he'll have a solo to copy, I guess.[/quote]

yeah mate, you've got a point. Ignore my previous post as I obviously talk a load of crap! :)

[quote name='Zombywoof' post='617491' date='Oct 5 2009, 02:50 PM']yeah mate, you've got a point. Ignore my previous post as I obviously talk a load of crap! :)[/quote]

Ha ha, sorry, I didn't mean that..
Even the brilliant solos you hear top bands play are worked out to a certain extent.

I heard an interview with some "top guitarist" years ago. I can't remember who but before then I used to think they just did it effortlessly and instinctively, knowing what notes to use over the chords etc. and that was what made them different to us normal humans.

Anyway this guy said he had to go back to all his old records to make sure he didn't just re-run one of his old solos accidentally. Then he sat down with the chords on a tape and went round and round and round until the muse appeared and the solo came out.
Sometimes it was months.
Then he had to get everyone to hear it and to say if they recognised anything ...

So yeah I think Peter's man needs some time to learn a solo but he should be doing as much as possible at home with a recording of the bit he has to solo over, as someone mentioned before..