Why become a member? ×

True vintage P bass v new American Vintage series

tredders

Hi

I accept that there are good and bad examples of both 'real' vintage and brand new basses, but generally my question is this: -

Since playing Funkmunky's beautiful '69/'70 P bass, I'm rapidly becoming obsessed with finding something very similar (or steal his, whichever's easiest :)).

My question is, how well do the new Vintage series P basses stack up against the real thing? I've been looking at the '62 re-issue, which I could get from the US for just under a grand. Is there a big difference? I know it's all down to personal preference, and it's probably a stupid question, but some thoughts from anyone who has played or owned both an old P bass and one of the new reissues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mark.

I've played a 73 P for a short while. My 62 AV Re-Issue is truly a great P bass, others have said it's the best P they've played too.

Personally I'd find a good AV in a shop and pay more.

Sorry I can't offer a more direct comparison.

Under a grand is good, is that including duty and VAT?

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='610942' date='Sep 28 2009, 04:01 PM']I've played a 73 P for a short while. My 62 AV Re-Issue is truly a great P bass, others have said it's the best P they've played too.

Personally I'd find a good AV in a shop and pay more.

Sorry I can't offer a more direct comparison.

Under a grand is good, is that including duty and VAT?[/quote]

Thanks for the reply - I know it's always down to personal preference at the end of the day, but just wanted a general opinion...

The grand is based upon me picking one up in the US. I'm supposed to be off there soon with work, and we also have a Christmas trip to Boston planned...

Mark.