Why become a member? ×

FS: Fender Jazz w/Kent Armstrong Pickups TRADED

jon_kemo

Recent acquisitions and my belief that I just don't get on with Jazz's forces this sale. Was only bought a couple of months ago from Rumble on this forum and is in exactly the same condition as it was when I bought it from him as it has only been used a handful of times. It's a US Jazz in Olympic White with Rosewood neck and a tortie plate. The pickups have been changed to Kent Armstrongs and the bridge upgraded to a Gotoh 203. Plays brilliantly and a really nice low action can be achieved but the Jazz sound just isn't my cup of tea.

Am lookin for [b]£450[/b] posted which is what I paid for and is in my opinion a bargain for this!

Cheers to Rumble for allowing me to use his pics.

Edited by jon_kemo

[quote name='jsixties' post='610994' date='Sep 28 2009, 04:55 PM']A real bargain indeed. This will not stay here for many hours. :)
Just a curiosity anyone knows what means the "American traditional" on the headstock of those series?[/quote]

'American Traditional' were a 90's budget series, made in Mexico I think, or at least made in the US from Mex parts. I had one a while back and it was actually pretty good, but not an MIA in the true sense. They were originally supplied with one-piece white pickguards and white VVT controls and as such looked a lot like a Strat (like the early 90's Fullertons which I imagine they were modelled on). This bass has clearly been upgraded so, if mine was anything to go on, it's likely a decent instrument
Chris.

[quote name='Beedster' post='611023' date='Sep 28 2009, 05:14 PM']'American Traditional' were a 90's budget series, made in Mexico I think, or at least made in the US from Mex parts. I had one a while back and it was actually pretty good, but not an MIA in the true sense. They were originally supplied with one-piece white pickguards and white VVT controls and as such looked a lot like a Strat (like the early 90's Fullertons which I imagine they were modelled on). This bass has clearly been upgraded so, if mine was anything to go on, it's likely a decent instrument
Chris.[/quote]

Ive got one of these, same body colour, American vintage PUs, white pickguard, bell control plate. One of the best jazz bass's Ive played.

[quote name='Beedster' post='611023' date='Sep 28 2009, 06:14 PM']'American Traditional' were a 90's budget series, made in Mexico I think, or at least made in the US from Mex parts. I had one a while back and it was actually pretty good, but not an MIA in the true sense. They were originally supplied with one-piece white pickguards and white VVT controls and as such looked a lot like a Strat (like the early 90's Fullertons which I imagine they were modelled on). This bass has clearly been upgraded so, if mine was anything to go on, it's likely a decent instrument
Chris.[/quote]

Hi Chris, do you know where I can find infos about these "american traditional" USA jazzes?

So far I've only found this, by Fender website:

"N"-prefix serial numbers denoting the 1990s were introduced in 1990. The numbers and decals were produced far in advance, and some N9 decals (denoting 1999), were inadvertantly affixed to some instruments in 1990. Consequently, some 1990 guitars bear 1999 "N9" serial numbers."

[quote name='fede162162' post='611582' date='Sep 29 2009, 07:14 AM']Hi Chris, do you know where I can find infos about these "american traditional" USA jazzes?

So far I've only found this, by Fender website:

"N"-prefix serial numbers denoting the 1990s were introduced in 1990. The numbers and decals were produced far in advance, and some N9 decals (denoting 1999), were inadvertantly affixed to some instruments in 1990. Consequently, some 1990 guitars bear 1999 "N9" serial numbers."[/quote]

I'm sure there'll be some info on the interweb somewhere :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='611611' date='Sep 29 2009, 09:35 AM']I'm sure there'll be some info on the interweb somewhere :)[/quote]

you're right, in fact I've found this on an old thread on Talkbass:

I received an eMail back from Fender which said.

"The Traditional series were a kind of budget USA/Mexican hybrid.They preceded the made in Mexico guitars, and were built with a mixture of USA and Mexican parts."

Someone should write a Fender full story on this forum, it comes out Fender had a rocky life, I never stop learning something new about this company!

[quote name='fede162162' post='611688' date='Sep 29 2009, 10:13 AM']"The Traditional series were a kind of budget USA/Mexican hybrid.They preceded the made in Mexico guitars, and were built with a mixture of USA and Mexican parts."[/quote]

So pretty much what I said above really :)

I don't think they've had a rocky life as such, they've been pretty much to the fore in electric guitars and basses since the early 50's (certainly other companies in the same market have had it worse). It's true to say however that they have made some poor technological and product decisions over the years (especially in the 80's and 90's), often in the face of increasing competition (although this is also true of most big corporations - even Alfa Romeo have had their off days, well several really, mostly between the late 80's and about a year ago :rolleyes:.). For such a big organisation it can be difficult to get information on discontinued products (as you found), and their quality control and cataloguing are notorious, even today.
All things said, they generally make damn fine basses though :lol: