Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Truss rod issue - '03 MIM Std Precision

Telebass

Posted originally on FDP.

Over the last 18 months or so, I've noticed that I'm forever correcting excess neck relief. We're not talking a lot here, but no matter, it always returns. It never gets beyond what I'd call a slightly high action, but does always return. The truss rod adjuster is a fair way down the hole now, around 3/4 inch to the top edge of the nut, and I'm wondering if I have a fault of some sort here. We don't have any great temperature/humidity issue this side of the pond (UK); things move, but not a great deal. This particular P has a very slim front-to-back neck measurement; a little too slim, maybe?
Your thoughts appreciated.

[quote name='Telebass' post='610230' date='Sep 27 2009, 07:18 PM']Posted originally on FDP.

Over the last 18 months or so, I've noticed that I'm forever correcting excess neck relief. We're not talking a lot here, but no matter, it always returns. It never gets beyond what I'd call a slightly high action, but does always return. The truss rod adjuster is a fair way down the hole now, around 3/4 inch to the top edge of the nut, and I'm wondering if I have a fault of some sort here. We don't have any great temperature/humidity issue this side of the pond (UK); things move, but not a great deal. This particular P has a very slim front-to-back neck measurement; a little too slim, maybe?
Your thoughts appreciated.[/quote]

the wood slimness shouldnt really affect matters i dont think
its in compression as the truss rod takes the tension

my guess is that the anchorag for one end of the rod is altering...

on a P iirc the truss rod is adjustable from either the head or tail...body
which is yours

ps my rickenbacker truss rods disappeared down the neck gradually and i think i had the same problem..the spreader bar was depressing into the neck wood...poor design i put it down to

no ricks in my house now

Edited by mrcrow

Try taking the truss rod nut off and clean the threads and the nut itself. Put a smear of vaseline in the nut and on the bearing surface.

This'll make the truss rod work a little better.
[b]
DON'T TRY THIS IF YOUR BASS HAS A 2 WAY TRUSS ROD LIKE A FENDER BI-FLEX. You can't remove the nut and you'll put a bow in the neck trying.[/b]

If that doesn't work. the truss rod could be compressing the wood at the other end of the neck. I think that's what happened to MrCrow's Ricks. This isn't a problem, but will have to be compensated for.

The neck stage would be to put the neck into a backbow with the truss rod nut loose, then tighten it. This way you'll have to loosen the nut to get the neck straight.

Edited by 7string

OK, truss rod nut off (heastock end). Nut was covered in plaster-like material, which I rubbed off. Lubricated nut threads.
All went back together well, and there's no doubt that the rod works more easily now.
It just remains to be seen if it's more stable than it was.

• 1 month later...