Why become a member? ×

P bass pick up question....

pietruszka

I have a p bass pick up and im curious to know if they can be seperated as I only need one half of the whole thing.

The pick up has a red wire from one bit of the pup, a blue from the other and a black joining the 2 together. Im tempted to cut the black one and elecy tape the end but I dont want to nack them.

Please dont ask for details!! Its a wierd little project I have which may not work.
Cheers for any thoughts.

Dan

It's no problem to use one half of a P-bass pickup - in your case just class the red wire as positive and the black negative - how you separate them is up to you but if you're handy with a soldering iron a new, longer black lead would be best, otherwise add an extension to the black when cut. You should be left with the second pickup as blue, negative, and the remainder of the black regarded as positve. Then you'll have another one to go at if anything knacks up.

Cool beans! That makes a bit more sense of what I can do. Though I dont think I made myself clear enough. I only need one part of the pick up so i was planning to cut the joining wire and only have one part of the pick, be it the one with either colour wire and use that.

But if the pick up has a positive and negative wire, surely it needs both in order to work?
I may aswell spill the beans, Im wanting to make a whamola bass and so only need a pick up for one string and was going to mount the one half of a P pup length ways under the string.

Dan

cut the little cable which connects the two halfs
dead centre so you have some cable to solder to

the one you use will be either a EA half or the DG half

the EA long wire is the earth
and the DG long wire is the hot

but of course using them singly means you can wire them anyway you want

hope that helps
cheers