Why become a member? ×

Strange Mixer problem

ped

Hi folks

Usually at home my Vbass and my brothers Vdrums go into a stereo mixer (via a pair of 1/4" jacks each) and we also plug in an ipod or similar to the stereo RCA Tape In jacks, usually sounds fine. Recently the music has started to hum incredibly loudly or the music sounds really glassy like it is encoded at 1kbps. Twiddling the lead sometimes seems to work, and other times not... you can twiddle it a LOT and it might do nothing or literally touch it and it works for a few seconds. However, it isn't the lead, and I am pretty sure it isn't the RCA jacks because the same thing happens when I plug the ipod into any other channel in mono or stereo - and guess what, it isn't the player either because we use several players into the mixer.

Bloody confused and pissed off

ped

[quote name='ped' post='607084' date='Sep 23 2009, 08:50 PM']Hi folks

Usually at home my Vbass and my brothers Vdrums go into a stereo mixer (via a pair of 1/4" jacks each) and we also plug in an ipod or similar to the stereo RCA Tape In jacks, usually sounds fine. Recently the music has started to hum incredibly loudly or the music sounds really glassy like it is encoded at 1kbps. Twiddling the lead sometimes seems to work, and other times not... you can twiddle it a LOT and it might do nothing or literally touch it and it works for a few seconds. However, it isn't the lead, and I am pretty sure it isn't the RCA jacks because the same thing happens when I plug the ipod into any other channel in mono or stereo - and guess what, it isn't the player either because we use several players into the mixer.

Bloody confused and pissed off

ped[/quote]
From what you have said, everything works on its own, and the fault appears to be in the mixer. My starting point would be to check the power supply to the mixer. Hum and distortion could be caused by reduced supply voltage, either a voltage regulator not performing, or an internal fault losing one side of the supply or something similar.

If the mixer runs from a wall wart, try a different one. If it's mains powered, check fuses and indicator lights, then call a service technician.

Thanks - now you mention it we have changed TVs recently - swapped a broken one for an older crapper one we had as a spare. The TV and the mixer run from the same outlet so perhaps the problem is there... I will investigate tomorrow as I have had more than enough of buzzing and tangled cables for one evening. I can't think of anything I dislike more than cables in general. EVERYTHING should be wireless!!

ped