Why become a member? ×

Preamp and Pickups, What shall I get?

NJE

Hello,

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I have a squier deluxe jazz V. It is a great playing bass and I love it and can also never get rid of it as it was a present from my very lovely girlfriend. I have been slowly adding parts and modding it and a few months ago I had a Aguilar OB2 put in.

Now the new Aguilar does not seem to do much, that the old one didn't. Its a bit tighter on the bass but is still lacking sound wise, it will just not give me the nice clean high end I expected. I have to be honest it was wired up at a local music shop and I dont think it is quite right (wrong pots maybe) as the volume dies when I roll the EQ off. It also has the stock pickups which are basically rubbish.

So my point, FINALLY! I want to get this playing and sounding as good as it can get and am looking for advice on Preamps and Pickups. I play a mixed bag of music but I like a tight low end, something tight and modern sounding, not to botehred about a vintage type sound as I have a RI 60's Jazz. I would like it quite punchy though if that is not a contradiction.

I have been thinking about the following combinations of pickups and preamps, what do you think? will they work? can you suggest anything else?

Dimarzio UltraJazz 5 + Aguilar OBP3 with mid switch ( this will slot right in to what is already there)
Nordstrand Pickups (maybe big singles) + Nordstrand preamp
Nordstrand + Aguilar OBP3
Sadowsky Pickups + Sadowsky Pre (I will have a spare hole where a switch was, can I make this unit active/passive witha switch?)
Bartolini + Bart Pre

Suggestions and advice would very gratefully received.

Cheers,

Nathan

Try and ACG 02 with your stock p/ups

for my money the greatest gift a man can give his bass ..

I hooked up mine to a very cheap pair of ceramics and the sound is just incredible , capable of everything from rumble to hifi and nearly all points in between ..

Youll find Alan of ACG in here somewhere , and of course John East who is responsible for the preamp

Gary
v8