Why become a member? ×

clearcoat or not

blazer3

Ive just started on a precision project and i was wondering if i could get away with not clearcoating the colour, just buff out the paint with buffing compound as i dont want that shiny new look, i"ve tested the idea on a scrap piece of wood and while it initially took some paint off it eventually settled and come out ok and was smooth, obviously i"ll be putting a lot more coats of colour on the body just to make sure not to much paint comes off to show the primer underneath.
As anyone else does this and what was the outcome, im priming the body today (as we speak actually) then applying the colour coats tomorrow.
regards
mick

I just had a quick look at the Plasti-Kote website.

I am not really keen on 'rattle cans', but I think I would go with the colour coats followed by a few coats of the satin lacquer if I were you.
If it comes out too glossy, you could take the shine off with a very fine scotchbrite pad or some 2000 wet & dry.... without risking taking off the colour.

Hope that helps.

Bumnote.
I used a heatgun, stripped it off in no time whatsoever but be careful around the edges as its thinner round there.
Also where some sort of mask as the fumes will do serious damage, i didnt have a proper mask so i just cut a strip from an old beach towel and tied that round my face.
cheers
mick