Why become a member? ×

Daisy Chain

cm261

Hey there,

My guitarist's birthday is coming up, and he has a (minor) issue with powering pedals. Am I to understand that something like [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-WAY-SPIDER-TO-POWER-EFFECTS-PEDALS_W0QQitemZ260387875417QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item3ca053aa59&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]this[/url] or [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GUITAR-EFFECT-PEDAL-POWER-SUPPLY-DAISY-CHAIN-5-PEDALS_W0QQitemZ320418036458QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item4a9a673aea&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]this[/url] or [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-POINT-DAISY-CHAIN-CONNECT-POWER-TO-7-PEDALS-QUALITY_W0QQitemZ280247648636QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item41400fc17c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]this[/url] would sort out the problem with no other equipment. In other words, do these things work by you plugging in a current 9V power supply, with the same 'end' as the rest of the daisy chain consists of, into the 1 end on the daisy chain that is different, then plugging the rest into all of the pedals that you want to power? Do these things make pedals noisy, or have any other downsides? It just all seems too good to be true that you can use one plug and one of these daisy chain things, rather than half a dozen (or more) plugs.

Im sure this question has been answered all over the place, but I couldn't find it anywhere here.

Cheers guys.

i use the onespot running 6 pedals off it with no issues whatsoever - i would say that there are some pedals that need higher voltage thro them so will need separate adaptors, then also certain pedals like older electro harmonix ones will only work with their own adaptor. finally, i find that certain pedals have a noise issue, my line6 echo park delay was terrible thro it but fine on its own.

so really, yep they're pretty handy and cheap, some exceptions but def worth a punt!

[quote name='Finbar' post='600624' date='Sep 16 2009, 07:22 PM']The Line 6 stompboxes are notorious for that. They won't work in a standard daisychain setup.[/quote]

to be fair i got the pedal for free cause the guy who had it before me thought it was bust for this very reason. and it's a good delay.

mustn't grumble!

Ok cool thanks for the replies.

Can i just run this off of a standard plug then (as in one for pedals), or do they have to be run through a pedal that has both power 'in' and 'out' sockets in order to daisy chain, as a lot of people seem to do (e.g. tuners)?

[quote name='cm261' post='600782' date='Sep 16 2009, 09:54 PM']Ok cool thanks for the replies.

Can i just run this off of a standard plug then (as in one for pedals), or do they have to be run through a pedal that has both power 'in' and 'out' sockets in order to daisy chain, as a lot of people seem to do (e.g. tuners)?[/quote]

yep, like you said 1st, no need for any fancy pedals or power in/out.

simples! (shoot me now :) )

I went from using the EffectsPowerSupplies.com Integrated 6-Way Daisy Chain to a Diago power supply and the difference it made really suprised me. The Diago power supply made all my pedals come to life.

The Integrated 6-Way Daisy Chain is a good cheaper option but given the choise I wouldn't go back.

[quote name='alexharvay' post='602130' date='Sep 18 2009, 12:26 PM']The Diago power supply made all my pedals come to life.[/quote]

Hi, what do you mean by this? Did the sounds from them improve?

I had/have a Diago and it popped and crackled. I think it may be faulty, mind.

Edited by mildmanofrock

Yes indeed. With the MXR pedals and Boss pedals the difference was small, my MXR phase 90 gained a slight volume boost, for example. But my Zvex WM became a completely different beast, most noticably a higher output, more bass, more fuzz. My Fulltone Bass Driver grew a pair (apparantly more so with the 18v adaptor) and my Animato just seemed to sing, so much sustain.

I haven't had any popping or crackling from the Diago power supply, it's been tip top. It's expensive but I'm really happy I got one. I was always a little worried that the EffectsPowerSupplies.com supply that I was using wasn't doing my pedals any good as well. i have complete confidence in the Diago.