Why become a member? ×

Any UK-based luthiers doing "relicing" treatments?

Mike

[quote name='Mike' post='66191' date='Sep 26 2007, 10:57 PM']Okay, well, despite not wanting this to turn into a "why would you do something like that" thread, it sort of has.

The situation is this: I have a few basses which I use as my main tools - 75 Jazz, Warwick Streamer Stg I, forthcoming Shuker, now a Ken Smith BT6.

The Sting is a bit of fun that I have - it's a one trick pony (though a very nice trick) and it's been snazzed up with a new pickup, pickguard and chrome covers. I just thought I might get it looking old too. I'm not obsessed with it - I have two vintage fenders, both naturally distressed, so I could get my kicks from them. It was just a bit of a project I was thinking of.

Thanks for your input. Appreciate the PMs and posts with info - much obliged.
Mike[/quote]

Mike
Given that you have two vintage basses as models to work from, why don't you give it a try yourself? At the very worst, and if it all goes Pete Tong, you can strip the paint and finish it naturally with any of a number of wood treatments such as stain, oil and wax. These, compared to a new finish, tend to age a bass anyway.
I was thinking the other day that there's definitely something not quite right about a brand new Telebass, so I can see your reasoning.
Good luck
Chris

Do it yourself, that way you can do as much as you wanna do.

I did a relic-type job on a bass I put together from parts, its a jazz body with a left handed Encore P-bass neck.

I ran over the body with a heat gun a couple of times with cracked the laquer (it was polyeurothane) and raised the grain, dented and dinged it with a chain with my keys on and then rubbed it down with brown shoe polish (with imitates the dirt and grease that collects around pick guard and any nook and crannies.

It's alot of fun :) !!!!!!

But if you've spent alot of money you've got too [b]DEFINATELY[/b] want it reliced!!!!