Why become a member? ×

Hello from Newbie

Orphius

Hi guys,

Nice forum- just what I need for lots of advice on starting to play bass!!

I, like a suspect many bass players, started playing guitar many years ago and have just recently (last month) switched to bass. I switched because I sold my main guitar (to pay bills etc) and had an old bass. My next door neighbour saw it and suggested they needed a bassist for his little group.

OK in at the deepend!!!!

Obviously I have some of the dexterity/coordination from playing guitar and over the last few weeks have been trying to ween myself of using a pick so I can eventually do pop/slap techniques so I have a broader horizon.

I need help with the following points-
I need a smallish amp for rehearsal and eventually small gigs- I have very limited funds (less than £100) I have seen what ebay can offer (Older Peavey TNT's TKO's, some Ashdowns and one or two old Trace Elliots). Is there anything I should look out for? I'm in a sort of rush (weeks not months) as I'm currently going through the PA at rehearsal via a behringer shark DI and it sounds OK on it own but as soon as the vocals kick in the bass gets compressed and lost.

Also- any good exercises anyone can suggest to improve right hand technique quickly?

Info on my bass guitar-
I have an Aria Pro II Wildcat series 4 string passive with J&P pups- anyone know anything about this bass? I bought it years ago for a girlfriend for £75 and recently had the wiring checked coz of a crackling jack socket- I was going to part ex it against a cheap Vintage or suchlike but the guy said it played much nicer that a modern "cheapy" so I took his advice and kept it.

Thanks in advance to any help

Regards

Rich

Hi Rich. Welcome to the forum. :)

As far as amps go, I'd be looking for a Peavey TNT in your position. They come up fairly regularly for the sort of money you're looking at, they sound great and are reliable. Having said that ebay can be a weird place where you can snag bargains because the seller won't post, so it's just a question of keeping your eye out. If you're unsure what you are looking at you can always post a question here.

Your Wildcat is likely a Matsumoku made bass - I'm not sure if Aria continued the range after production switched to Korea, but if it was made in Japan it's a keeper. You'll find a lot of love for Mats on these boards. :rolleyes:

Can't help with right hand technique though - I use a pick! :lol:

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' post='592419' date='Sep 7 2009, 08:15 PM']Hi Rich. Welcome to the forum. :)

As far as amps go, I'd be looking for a Peavey TNT in your position. They come up fairly regularly for the sort of money you're looking at, they sound great and are reliable. Having said that ebay can be a weird place where you can snag bargains because the seller won't post, so it's just a question of keeping your eye out. If you're unsure what you are looking at you can always post a question here.

Your Wildcat is likely a Matsumoku made bass - I'm not sure if Aria continued the range after production switched to Korea, but if it was made in Japan it's a keeper. You'll find a lot of love for Mats on these boards. :rolleyes:

Can't help with right hand technique though - I use a pick! :lol:[/quote]

Thanks for the info on the Aria bass- I'll have to start looking after it now (maybe even get it a protective case :lol: !!)
It does not give any indication as to its origin although stamped on the heel plate is the following-

Accurate Bolt on neck

Thanks for the confidence boost on the old Peavey TNT's - I have seen many used by bassists while I've been playing guitar and there are a few on my eBay watch list!! Gutted though- just missed a Trace Elliot BLX- 80 that ended for £63!!

I've seen a few H/H V-S 100 watt combos- I know these are not fashionable but are they any good??

Rich

[quote name='Orphius' post='592655' date='Sep 8 2009, 08:39 AM']Thanks for the info on the Aria bass- I'll have to start looking after it now (maybe even get it a protective case :) !!)
It does not give any indication as to its origin although stamped on the heel plate is the following-

Accurate Bolt on neck

Thanks for the confidence boost on the old Peavey TNT's - I have seen many used by bassists while I've been playing guitar and there are a few on my eBay watch list!! Gutted though- just missed a Trace Elliot BLX- 80 that ended for £63!!

I've seen a few H/H V-S 100 watt combos- I know these are not fashionable but are they any good??

Rich[/quote]

Yep, that's a Mat - built in 1986.

I've not tried the VS combo, but I've got a soft spot for the amps. In fact I've got one of the later Bass Machines that I refuse to part with, so perhaps I'm not the best person to ask. I rehearsal studio I use has a VS and an old 4x12 - it sound great if your into more retro sounds.