Why become a member? ×

Roland VS-2400CD

Gazm

Hi folks,

A friend of mine is selling a [url="http://www.rockingrooster.co.uk/productRolandVS2400CD-217-197.html"]Roland VS-2400CD[/url] digital studio. He's was going to start up a mobile recording studio but has now changed his mind and is selling up.

Anyway, he has offered the unit to me at a good price and I'm struggling to decide whether to go for it or not. I play in two bands and think it would be great for recording rehearsals, making demos etc.

What do you think, is this bit of kit an overkill? Will the novelty of lugging it about and connecting it up where off too soon?

Please help me to make up my mind :)

Pete.

That looks a very impressive bit of kit! However I would say that it's overkill unless you intend to produce CDs for release, you can do good demos for much less outlay. I'm currently finishing off our first EP and have done the lot on a Tascam 2488 MkII, which is similar but is missing the flying faders and I presume has less good converters etc and thus costs only £550 new.

Do you already own decent microphones? If not then you'll need to budget at least £500 for those.

Alex

I've had a Roland VS1680 for a few years and it always gives great results.

As long as you've got a quality noise going into it, you get a quality noise out of it !! I've recorded all sorts with it from bass to distorted guitar to spoken word and I have no complaints at all.

Hope this helps..

Thanks guys, our guitarist has loads of microphones etc.
The mixer includes a 15" TFT monitor, wireless mouse and keyboard. Also both effects expansion slots are filled, allbeit with the VS8F-2 processor rather than the VS8F-3 but you can't have everything.
As my car recently blew up and I had to spend my dosh on another, he says I can pay him off monthly without interest so I think I'm going to go for it.

Cheers,

Pete.