Why become a member? ×

how do tou "run in" speakers?

witterth

I'm about to collect back some cabs that have lain dormant for years in a pub cellar, provided damp ( which is a distinct possibility ) hasn't ruined them :)
I ve heard new/havent been used in ages, speakers should be "run in " what does that mean no more than 56mph??
seriously what should I do?
they are 2x10 & 2x18 4ohm Trace elliot cabs (regular readers- "oh no not THEM AGAIN!! :rolleyes:)

When speakers with non-rubber/foam surrounds/suspension are new they require a good few hours of use for the suspension to loosen up and the speaker settle into its long-term characteristics (basically the bottom end gets bigger). If they're old but haven't been used in ages that shouldn't affect the suspension (unless it's foam in which case it could have perished), so all you need to worry about is making sure they're not damp - give them some time in a warm dry room to ensure there aren't any moisture related problems (damp cones will crease more easily under high excursion).

Alex