Why become a member? ×

ISP Decimator ProRack

Finbar

Okay, so I've been looking at the ISP Decimator ProRack or ProRack G for my rack setup. Reason being I drive my preamp really hard, and it seems to bring up some background noise. Wouldn't bother me too much, but I mic my cab at gigs and when recording, so the noise can be quite apparent sometimes. A couple of my effects (distortions mostly) also can be a little noisy. I have most of them in bypass loops for when they're not on, but it'd be nice to cut some of that out for short staccato bits and the like when the pedal is actually on and in the signal path.

I also have an empty space in my rack at the moment, and no space on my pedalboard whatsoever, so when looking at noise reduction units, the ProRack looked pretty much just what I wanted to be looking at.

The ProRack G actually looks really good for this as it monitors the input signal direct from the guitar as well as your preamp stage. But I really won't want one lead running from my bass to the amp, then another one out to the pedalboard at the front of the stage as my effects aren't rackmounted, and a third one back to the amp, as well as the two already going from the board to my amp. That is a LOT of dicking about. Also messes with my wireless setup a bit.

I could run the whole pedalboard into the guitar input of the ProRack G, but that wouldn't really help clean up the noise from my pedalboard at all.

Is there a clever way around this?

I don't think there is a really clever way round, other than what you have suggested with the routing. I haven't played much with it yet, but I have the decimator on my ISP Beta preamp. My guitarist, Jamie uses the rack you mention as well so mebbe I can have a word with him to see how he sets it up?

I'll have a look at it tomoz if i can.

Hmmm..it doesnt look like there is a particularly easy way around your predicament! - I looked at the decimator pedal and the 'G String' version of the decimator pedal too. It looks like the only way you could keep the noice floor down and not have two sets of cables going back and forth (in the case of the GString and Pro Rack) would be to use the standard Decimator at the end of your signal path (pedals??) as it doesnt use the 'direct signal sensing' that the other two do, from what I can tell at the moment.

I guess you could have a cable 'snake' made up with the extra cables in for the Pro Rack?

Haven had a response from Jamie yet unfortunately.

Hmm. That's what I was thinking too. If you're not doing it properly though, noise reduction seems kind of pointless to me.

The only workaround I can see for using the ProRack would be using my wireless as a rackmount rather than on my pedalboard. That would plug into the channel one input of the ProRack, then a lead would have to go from the output to my pedals, then two back from my pedalboard to my two preamps. Then the noisier one would go through the second channel of the ProRack.

That would be workable. But I'd need an even larger rack in order to rackmount the wireless (not sure I fancy a 5u rack right now tbh), and then I'd have 3 leads going from my pedalboard to amp one way or another. Could happily cable tie them all together or something for quicker setup though. Hmm.