Why become a member? ×

Buzz, Buzz, Buzz...

Hey Dave

I have finished my rig, but when all wired up i have come across a minor setback. (I have included a picture of the rig below)

[b]Furman PL Plus II Power Conditioner - powers everything.
Shure U4S Wireless > Korg DTR 2000 Tuner > Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
FX Loop in GK - I run the Yamaha SPX90-II FX unit.[/b]

I made all the relevant leads with Whirlwind cable, and Switchcraft 226 Jacks and have tested them all with my cable tester, all OK.

The problem is with my Jazz Special passive basses, i can hear a slightled distorted (overtone?) when i slide my fingers up the strings, and there is quite a bit of background hum coming from the amp. I also have a OLP MM22 which has active electronics, and that sounds great and is fine. When i touch the metal linings of my rack cases the hum disappears. Everything is perfect when used on its own and not with the rack unit above.

Do i need to some how, earth the top rack?

Hope you can help!

Thanks in advance

Edited by chriswilliams666

[quote name='chriswilliams666' post='585422' date='Aug 30 2009, 09:55 PM']Hey Dave

I have finished my rig, but when all wired up i have come across a minor setback. (I have included a picture of the rig below)

[b]Furman PL Plus II Power Conditioner - powers everything.
Shure U4S Wireless > Korg DTR 2000 Tuner > Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
FX Loop in GK - I run the Yamaha SPX90-II FX unit.[/b]

I made all the relevant leads with Whirlwind cable, and Switchcraft 226 Jacks and have tested them all with my cable tester, all OK.

The problem is with my Jazz Special passive basses, i can hear a slightled distorted (overtone?) when i slide my fingers up the strings, and there is quite a bit of background hum coming from the amp. I also have a OLP MM22 which has active electronics, and that sounds great and is fine. When i touch the metal linings of my rack cases the hum disappears. Everything is perfect when used on its own and not with the rack unit above.

Do i need to some how, earth the top rack?

Hope you can help!

Thanks in advance[/quote]

Hi,

Hard to fix these things via email but the rack should be earthed anyway so that would be a good starting point.

Dave