Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Loud overpowering E string

Rich44

For a while now my E string has been bothering me, and I need it sorted before I can sell it. At the volume I play at, basically the E string is excessively loud, whereas the other strings are barely audiable, and obviously if the volume is turned up to hear them the E string is made even louder.

The only information I can find states I should lower the pickup on the E string, how would I do this, is it a difficult job? Others have said its a string guage issue but I doubt this, as I never had any problems before (I use 45-105 guage strings).

I know very little about pickups, all I can tell you is they are p-bass style, [url="http://www.allacoustic.net/yamaha%20rbx170.JPG"]http://www.allacoustic.net/yamaha%20rbx170.JPG[/url] like this.

[quote name='WarPig' post='584442' date='Aug 29 2009, 01:05 PM']To lower the E side pick up, there should be a screw on the side of the pup, tighten this to lower it.[/quote]

Won't this also lower the pickup under the A string slightly? Or will it all just balance out.

[quote name='Rich44' post='584461' date='Aug 29 2009, 01:35 PM']Won't this also lower the pickup under the A string slightly? Or will it all just balance out.[/quote]

What you might also try is undoing the screw at the opposite end of the pickup a little aswell, thus kind of swinging the whole thing, so that the pickup ends up closer to the higher strings. I set up all my basses myself (rightly or wrongly!) and I always have the pickups a little closer to the high strings than the low ones.

My second suggestion is that I once had a similar problem with an 'E' string which was pretty old, and concluded that somehow the outer windings of the string had come away from the core wire a little and the string was kind of rattling within itself, if that makes sense to you? So maybe try another string?

Edited by Daquifsta

[quote name='Daquifsta' post='584584' date='Aug 29 2009, 04:09 PM']What you might also try is undoing the screw at the opposite end of the pickup a little aswell, thus kind of swinging the whole thing, so that the pickup ends up closer to the higher strings. I set up all my basses myself (rightly or wrongly!) and I always have the pickups a little closer to the high strings than the low ones.

My second suggestion is that I once had a similar problem with an 'E' string which was pretty old, and concluded that somehow the outer windings of the string had come away from the core wire a little and the string was kind of rattling within itself, if that makes sense to you? So maybe try another string?[/quote]

Yeh, that makes sense, Its a quite recent problem so it is probably the string rather than the pickup. Thanks.