Why become a member? ×

Valve bass!

umph

[quote name='henry norton' post='580399' date='Aug 25 2009, 04:37 PM']Slightly off topic but on the odd occasion I've looked at on board pre amp bits all the very best quality, lowest noise ICs tend to draw a huge current. As most people don't want to change their batteries every other week most pre's use ICs chosen for their low energy use rather than performance. Maybe more use should be made of pedalboard mounted power supplies - Alembic is the only bass I can think of that uses them.[/quote]

And (perversely) Variax basses are also powered from their pedal PSU/DI unit. Admittedly, the greater current requirement is for a different reason.
I guess you could use 48v phantom one way up an XLR whilst the signal went the other (as with many phantom powered DI boxes) That could do the trick, irrespetive of what devices were being used in the EQ.

[quote name='henry norton' post='580399' date='Aug 25 2009, 04:37 PM']Slightly off topic but on the odd occasion I've looked at on board pre amp bits all the very best quality, lowest noise ICs tend to draw a huge current. As most people don't want to change their batteries every other week most pre's use ICs chosen for their low energy use rather than performance. Maybe more use should be made of pedalboard mounted power supplies - Alembic is the only bass I can think of that uses them.[/quote]

aye i agree, if you use pedals anyway you can mod them to become the power supply, all you need is a stereo jack and cable.

Very interesting - cant believe I nearly missed this! I didnt know you could get low voltage valves. :)

Ive just done a quick google for data sheets for the 1zh1zb - I didnt get any hits. Where did you find these valves? Were they NOS?

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='Mikey R' post='582298' date='Aug 27 2009, 11:32 AM']Very interesting - cant believe I nearly missed this! I didnt know you could get low voltage valves. :)

Ive just done a quick google for data sheets for the 1zh1zb - I didnt get any hits. Where did you find these valves? Were they NOS?[/quote]

the ebay link in the first post is a link to them, i don't think they still make many submini valves, there very cool