Why become a member? ×

Personal headphone monitor 'tap'

mcgraham

[quote name='mcgraham' post='592925' date='Sep 8 2009, 01:39 PM']Thanks for the reply Orphius! That looks very nifty!

Whilst there are some products on the market that could do what I wanted, they were either overkill (as in this case), or too expensive, or they needed additional bits to make it work.

Anyway! The device is in the works. I'll keep you all informed as to its progress.

Mark[/quote]

Hi Mark
Hows this going?
OG

Fantastically thanks :) The headphone amp on this thing is crystal clear. Works beautifully with my q-Jays. Fantastic for both home practice with an auxiliary source (like mp3/drum machine, etc) and also at practice/gigs for use with a monitor signal. The sound engineers also love the totally continuous level control on the DI out (separate level controls for bass amp out and DI out). Love it.

SFX do a product that is just the headphone amp portion - it's called the H1. Great price and very pure sound. It'll show you what your bass is really like.

Mark

P.S. For those multi-instrumentalists, it's also great for acoustic and electric guitar, and I imagine it'd be great for keyboards and other instruments too!

[quote name='mcgraham' post='713559' date='Jan 15 2010, 11:42 AM']Fantastically thanks :) The headphone amp on this thing is crystal clear. Works beautifully with my q-Jays. Fantastic for both home practice with an auxiliary source (like mp3/drum machine, etc) and also at practice/gigs for use with a monitor signal. The sound engineers also love the totally continuous level control on the DI out (separate level controls for bass amp out and DI out). Love it.

SFX do a product that is just the headphone amp portion - it's called the H1. Great price and very pure sound. It'll show you what your bass is really like.

Mark

P.S. For those multi-instrumentalists, it's also great for acoustic and electric guitar, and I imagine it'd be great for keyboards and other instruments too![/quote]
Thanks for your kind words Mark - I am happy to read that you like the device.

=====
For the design of the DI/Preamp section I gave Mark a few options - from a basic design to a more high-end version. He decided for the very best one and I'm glad to hear that he's happy with the choice.

Before sending the box to Mark I test it, measured the frequency response and compared it to an Avalon U5. Mark's box performed extremely well on evey aspect of the tests. :rolleyes:

for a personal 'live stage' monitor mix control - buy a rack of active splitters for side of stage a long multi core route to an analog mixer where you stand on stage , plug your wedge or headphones from the output and create your own monitor mix ( although feedback is possible) more effort and expense but pretty cool all the same. : )

So, developments... our church has almost completed a deal on a building in the centre of Nottingham. Verrry exciting stuff.

What is also exciting is that the person who is in charge of sound/PA has taken my IEM experiences on board and decided to go hardwired IEM for the new venue (e.g. drum booth for drummer plus headphones, IEM headphone boxes for stationary band members and those who stand by an amp such as guitarists, keyboardists, bassists, etc).

Finally! We're getting somewhere!

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='724106' date='Jan 25 2010, 02:32 PM']So, developments... our church has almost completed a deal on a building in the centre of Nottingham. Verrry exciting stuff.

What is also exciting is that the person who is in charge of sound/PA has taken my IEM experiences on board and decided to go hardwired IEM for the new venue (e.g. drum booth for drummer plus headphones, IEM headphone boxes for stationary band members and those who stand by an amp such as guitarists, keyboardists, bassists, etc).

Finally! We're getting somewhere!

Mark[/quote]

Drummer in a box .... hummmmmmmmm

:)

• 9 months later...

[quote name='mcgraham' post='713559' date='Jan 15 2010, 11:42 AM']Fantastically thanks :) The headphone amp on this thing is crystal clear. Works beautifully with my q-Jays. Fantastic for both home practice with an auxiliary source (like mp3/drum machine, etc) and also at practice/gigs for use with a monitor signal. The sound engineers also love the totally continuous level control on the DI out (separate level controls for bass amp out and DI out). Love it.

Mark

P.S. For those multi-instrumentalists, it's also great for acoustic and electric guitar, and I imagine it'd be great for keyboards and other instruments too![/quote]

Mark, have you got a custom built unit, or one of SFX's off the shelf products?