Why become a member? ×

EUB design considerations

TDM

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of planning a EUB build. I'm an electric player and I have very little experience of playing DB except for occasional noodling on other people's instruments. My aim for the build is basically to get as much of the upright sound as possible with as few of the upright ergonomics and aesthetics as possible. Obviously I imagine there will be a compromise in the sound when I do this but I'm trying to figure out how much I can change:

Neck thickness - Most EUBs I've seen seem to have rather thick necks. I don't mind thick necks and I think it will affect sustain so I will try keeping the neck and headstock as thick as possible.

Fingerboard radius - Does this have any significant effect on the tone? I don't play on doing any arco playing so that isn't a problem. I was thinking something like 12" because the wood I have for the fingerboard isn't very thick.

Neck angle and bridge height - Again, I was under the impression that the reasoning behind this was to allow the use of a taller bridge and so the body got less in the way of the bow. So unless it affects the tone in some way I don't know about I probably won't have one. Also, it's hard to do with my limited skills and tools

Scale length - This seems to be the big one. 35" was my original plan but through research I get the impression that people prefer the sound of longer scale length EUBs. I want a two octave fingerboard so given the limitations of the wood that I have I can go up to about 40". The problem that comes with this is that I don't know if I can get standard strings that long.

So what are you opinions on these aspects of EUB/DB construction?

Any comments/suggestions/advice?

Cheers,

Joe
Edit/Delete Message

If the main consideration is to a something electric that sounds good for pizz, but is played upright, look at how 'horizontal basses' are made and which ones give the best DB sound and maybe use ideas & elements of their construction in the EUB. Out of my bass collection I'd say my danelectro longhorn sounds best for blues etc and can sound more double-bass like in a band setting than my ns cr5m even though it has a 30" scale and the body is made of ply & hardboard. I think this may be because the body construction gives less sustain and a dull thud-type tone.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know where I can get a set of 5 flatwound strings long enough for a 40" bass? I'd imagine the total length needed to be around 47". Spending £75 on a set of the NS strings isn't part of the plan, and neither is spending 100+ on a set of DB strings :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Full-set-of-Olympia-top-quality-Double-Bass-Strings_W0QQitemZ270412161960QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments?hash=item3ef5d223a8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]these[/url] should do the job if they do a five string set - send them an email, or look at a set of weedwackers if you want something even cheaper.

I think that the bridge construction is essential for getting a realistic upright sound. I've noticed that EUB's with a traditional tailpiece usually have a less "large electric fretless"-tone. For inspiration you should check out Mikael Janson's EUB Database - Almost any EUB ever made is in there...http://dvoi.com/proj/eubdb