Why become a member? ×

I have a 3 x double pot John East U-Retro which I recently bought off Ebay (from a Basschat member) to replace the pre in my Cirrus BXP.

The John East didn't work well with the active pickups and I've put the Peavey pre back in it, so the U-Retro is out on the bench (I've mounted it on a Jazz control plate for safety).

***This is a U-Retro with cables. It will NOT fit in the standard J Control Route. You need the R-Retro for that.

***Similarly the U-Retro has longer threaded controls (10mm) for back mounting through the wooden face of the bass.

***The R-Retro has 6mm threaded controls for mounting on a metal plate.

It's slightly non-standard in that the passive pickup switch has been *factory* modified to allow neck, both, bridge. There's an extra connection point on the bottom of the switch, but I haven't a clue where or how to connect it.

The cable for said switch came to me totally unattached. It is no great problem if you are handy with the soldering iron to tack them on, but it's a delicate fix & easily knocked off. While I'm asking JE about the switch, I'll try & beg the 'cuffs' he uses for the attachment of the lines to replace the missing ones.

Pics here: [url="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v213/geoffbyrne/John%20East/"]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v213/geo...ne/John%20East/[/url]

I'd want £120 posted. All chrome hardware.

***ADDITIONAL NOTE:

I've decided to return this unit to John East Products to have the 'Blend' switch cable re-attached properly and the extra connection determined, as a possible buyer ascertained that John East wouldn't comment on the connection until he saw the set-up.

If you are interested in this, I would ask you to still PM me and declare your interest and you will have first 'dibs' when the unit is returned.

Geoff

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='kurcatovium' post='564389' date='Aug 9 2009, 07:49 PM']Hello.
I might be interested. Will it work with 2 MM style Bartolini humbuckers?[/quote]

Bassmeg has first dibs on it at the moment, but if he doesn't want to take it, I think it would be fine with the Barts as they are passive.

I just found that with the very low impedence of the Peavey active pickups, the U-Retro moved everything basswards by quite a lot and could find very little in the way of treble, hence I replaced the Peavey Pre, which is actually, apart from the lack of a sweepable mids, pretty decent.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne