Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision @62 reissue vs Squier JV/SQ

desh

Hello there,
I've owned a JV which was excellent. Last night I played an SQ which also was excellent.
I'm thinking of buying an SQ, a Tokai Hardpuncher or perhaps a MIJ '62 reissue.
Does anyone have experience of the Tokai and '62 reissue and do they measure up to the SQ/JV?
thanks
Des

hi desh

im not sure about '62 reissues but played lots of '57 reissues. Either trying out or owning.
Had the (Us version) CIJ RI have a very early JV and tried a recent USA MIA RI
also played a '80s tokai hardpuncher.

The CIJ is very good. Solid construction and sounds good. Very nice modern P bass tone. If I was buying a new bass I would get this one.
The MIA was well constructed, It had more period correct features than the CIJ. IMO the neck on the jap one was better but the MIA was very good. Similar sounding.
My JV is better made than either, lots of wee details like the rolled fingerboard. It sounds a lot more vintage, imagine the sound you hear on your old records...

I played a tokai briefly in a shop, it was one of the old ones, I dare say it was a passable bass but it wasnt very good compared to any of the others above. Better than some fenders though.

I think theres a good point there Moos3h.

Fender basses were designed to be mass produced. Now these days I doubt there really is much difference in the skill of workers on a production line between the far east and the US. Providing you can keep the quality control up (which reportedly Squier are doing at the moment) then the only difference is the wood, and in a electronic instrument that isnt going to be vital in a live setting.