Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Valve or SS?

Shockwave

Hey guys.

How close is the valve sound on the Hybrid Ampegs?

I would love a Ampeg SVT CL or other all valve head but finding a second hand one come up for sale seems far fetched. How close are the Tube Pre/SS powered amps? Do they get the SVT valve tone bang on? Or not quite?

I think i am very close to buy :)

Rob.

IMO/IME Not close at all!!! Dunno re the separate pre & pwr amp route... An All tube SVT300 power amp would be good tho ;-) I used to own a B2R(350w S.S.) sounded nice.... but NO cigar... traded that in on a SVT3PRO (450w hybrid) - a bit nicer, but NOwhere near the "AMPEG SOUND" in my books. I've not found a S.S. / or hybrid amp that DOES sound anywhere near the Ampeg tube sound... closest i've found is my Mark Bass LMII- strange I know- but with the 2 filters U can get a real old school sound-easily too!! Add a Tech 21 VT bass pedal or even a (again Tech 21)Sansamp BDDI before the LMII & U got FAR closer to the SVT tube sound than ANY S.S. or hybrid amp I've EVER heard or tried. Depending on how much volume one needs.... I grabbed a 100w Ampeg V4BH(all tube -4 x 6L6 pwr tubes) & to me this sounds almost idetical to my all tube SVTII(non-pro).
But if U ARE going the S.S. route- A VTBASS pedal in front of ANY amp will get U closer to the tube Ampeg sound than anything other than a tube Ampeg. I'd be patient & keep looking- for either a SVT-CL/AV/VR , a SVTII(pro or older 'Non-pro'. There are a LOTTA Svt's out there- one will come up 4 sale soon. otherwise I reckon you'll end up wasting $$$ - as I did- buying other amps, but really wanting THAT sound- which can only be had with the real thing. OR Bass > VTBASS pedal > S.S. amp-(the pedal IS that good- but can't give U the EXACT sound of vacuum tubes-very close tho) Asdown EVO amps were the only other amps I found came CLOSE to giving the warm sound of an all tube baby... but that aint a SVT sound either...

[quote name='rodl2005' post='561642' date='Aug 6 2009, 01:05 AM']I grabbed a 100w Ampeg V4BH(all tube -4 x 6L6 pwr tubes) & to me this sounds almost idetical to my all tube SVTII(non-pro).[/quote]

How are you getting on with the V4BH? Enough volume?

Which cabs do you use to get the most out of it, and which output valves are you using?

The V4BH is fine for volume for me. Running thru a pretty highly sensitive cab with plenty of drivers = good volume. I use a Bergantino NV610. Thru a single 15" I get a great ols sch. sound, but not heaps of headroom. I play in a pretty loud band, but we only play as loud as the acoustic drums(onstage anyway) & I can run the V4BH at "the sweet spot"- i.e. right at the point of starting to get power tube overdrive, if I play hard-I get nice OD, play soft-she's clean. I LOVE it!!! & I usually take this amp instead of my SVTII as-1. it's 1/2 the weight, 2 the SVT is THE amp for anyMORE vol. but if I know I don't NEED to be really loud out front(Or we have a F.O.H. PA system ) then the V4BH is usually the one.