Why become a member? ×

Luthier build or bits build?

xgsjx

I've been planning on getting a new bass for some time now but I'm still undecided.
I was going to get a custom made luthier bass, but I'm liking the idea of getting all the parts & putting together my own custom job.

If I go down this route, I plan on building a 5 string Jazz or something similar that has a wealth of parts at it's disposal. Other options are to get a body cut & routed that will take fender fitting necks (easy to get hold of & can try Jazz or P bass necks to see what I prefer), or to get a bass with a straight thru neck that has nothing on it (no p/us, pre amp, etc).

Anyone any ideas on doing this as opposed to the luthier option?

I was looking at Warmoth & a few other similar places & found these... [url="http://www.mercasystems.com/"]http://www.mercasystems.com/[/url]
Anyone heard of them? They're Spanish.

[quote name='mrcrow' post='556592' date='Jul 30 2009, 09:16 PM']you could go to a luthier who teaches how to make a bass in his workshop...but you make it
there is one in sheffield england[/quote]

i know the chap :)

theres a few threads in the build diaries section of people who have done the course, but here's a link to [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15736&hl=shuker+course"]my build thread[/url].

if you don't want to do the shuker course, i'd go for warmoth, i've always quite fancied doing a warmoth build but the only time i've had the cash i went for the shuker course. that spanish site seems quite expensive tbh, i know probably less expensive than warmoth or a shuker course, but you have lots of options with them.

That's a nice bass you've built. :)

I've been giving serious consideration to doing a build course. Bailey Guitars in Maybole do build courses & have considered that.
The thing that appeals about the bits idea is that I can spend more time on it as & when I want. If I get a 5 string body & neck I can spend time preparing them & getting them how I want.

There's a couple of decent bodies on the Warmoth site that would suit. Is there a UK distributor for Warmoth or would I need to ship from the US?

I think Warmoth ship from the USA.

Seen a few Warmoth builds (some on here) and they always look great. I priced up a 5 string J-bass a while ago and the parts came to £700 or so. That was with a grand spec as well! If you can do you're own painting/finishing the price comes down a bit.

Luthier-wise, Shuker, Sei and now RIM offer J's and then there's Sadowsky Metro's.

The only thing I could think of which counts against Warmoth is that you might not get your money back if you decided to sell.

[quote name='7string' post='556717' date='Jul 31 2009, 12:24 AM']I think Warmoth ship from the USA.

Seen a few Warmoth builds (some on here) and they always look great. I priced up a 5 string J-bass a while ago and the parts came to £700 or so. That was with a grand spec as well! If you can do you're own painting/finishing the price comes down a bit.

Luthier-wise, Shuker, Sei and now RIM offer J's and then there's Sadowsky Metro's.

The only thing I could think of which counts against Warmoth is that you might not get your money back if you decided to sell.[/quote]

+1 for the own finishing, if i ever do a warmoth build, i'll definatly finish it myself, it saves a lot of money.