Why become a member? ×

Do these Bass Chords work?

arabassist

Hello,

I got home at 1AM, the family was asleep and I was lonely and depressed. So the obvious solution was to strum some chords :)

I improvved some crap, but being ignorant in theory I don't know if these chords work together or not. I know by ear that there's something not right with these chords - but i don't know what it is and what to do with it. I tried tabbing it out on guitar pro, the rhythm's completely wrong but this was the best I could do.

[attachment=29316:Chords.JPG]

Any suggestions?
Cheers

Well there's work and theres work i guess!?

All you've got there is a ombination of 5ths, 4ths and 3rds really. The reason in might not sound right is because sometimes your using a minor 3rd (i.e in the second bar) and sometimes your using a major 3rd (last chord before the repeat mark) - so you might get a bit of contrast that way.

You could try thinking modally and in c major to start with. Basically, don't use and sharp or flats (black notes on the piano), so just A B C D E F G and that should shound nice(ish) as a starting point.

But - i think your ear should be the thing you concentrate on most.

Alex.

I apologise for being a tit but there's a lot i didnt understand there :)

[quote]You could try thinking modally and in c major to start with.[/quote]

I have no idea what that means.

[quote]Basically, don't use and sharp or flats (black notes on the piano), so just A B C D E F G and that should shound nice(ish) as a starting point.[/quote]

Why shouldn't I use those?

[quote]because sometimes your using a minor 3rd (i.e in the second bar) and sometimes your using a major 3rd[/quote]

How do i tell the difference between a major and a minor? (by ear and by tab?)
Whats wrong with using majors and minors together?

Thanks
Ahmed

Edited by arabassist

Sorry - my fault... didn't know how much you know.

Why shouldn't you use those - it was merely a suggested starting point, as a lot of 'theory' is. That is just a combination of notes that works, and if you start at different places (for example on the E or D) you will create different intervals that will work together.

There is nothing wrong with using majors and minors together... Its just you said that you thought there was something not right with the combination of notes you used, and from just looking at them (and not playing them) I thought this might be it?

How do you tell the difference between major and minor? By ear, basically, major is happy and minor is sad. When you are playing, if you played a C on the A string for example (the 3 fret), you could move down 1 fret on the d string (fret 2) for a major third and down 2 frets (fret 1) for a minor third. That works all over the neck... next string up and down one fret for major, down 2 for minor.

Does that help? ANy other questions feel free to ask!

Alex.

[quote name='arabassist' post='546125' date='Jul 21 2009, 10:40 AM'][attachment=29316:Chords.JPG]

Any suggestions?
Cheers[/quote]

Do you have a sequencer?
If so... put your double stops into the sequencer.
Then add a Bass note to the double stops. Your choice of note,
I have just done this [ on your behalf... :) hope you dont mind]
And some interesting things happen with your double stop's sequence.
You really can make most things work with some experimenting using different inversions / moving Bass notes.
Give it a go.

Garry

[quote name='arabassist' post='546270' date='Jul 21 2009, 12:15 PM']I apologise for being a tit but there's a lot i didnt understand there :)

I have no idea what that means.

Why shouldn't I use those?

How do i tell the difference between a major and a minor? (by ear and by tab?)
Whats wrong with using majors and minors together?

Thanks
Ahmed[/quote]

Theory time. For a very basic example, the triad of C major scale (notes 1, 3 and 5) is C (root), E (major third) and G (fifth). Playing these together (chord) or in sequence (arpeggio) will give the C Maj chord.

If the 3rd note of the triad is flattened (down one fret/semitone) then this produces the C minor chord = C (root), Eb (minor third), G (fifth).

I suggest that you get a copy of the Bass Guitar (Fretboard Roadmaps) by Fred Sokolow and Tim Emmons - £8.95 from Amazon.

Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

Ross

Thank you guys I'm starting to understand what you're saying a bit more.

[quote]Then add a Bass note to the double stops. Your choice of note,[/quote]

When it comes to choosing the note, could it be any note from the scale? or are there more/less limits to what note can harmonise?

Is it possible to play chords/arpeggios that dont involve the 3rd and 5th note? (e.g. I play notes 1, 4 and 7)

Oh and has anyone else given my piece a try? ^_^

Ahmed

Edited by arabassist