Why become a member? ×

charvel

Yes it was a hard find, it's non standard with the darkstar but a great bass, love the shape,looks and the tone out of this is now big punchy but with a hollow body resonance. They are hard to find if you want one the states is your best bet, try diamond strings on the net somtimes they get the odd one, i missed a rare seafoam green one recently, gutted it's one i am looking for!. they also made a semi acoustic with a thicker body and acoustic bridge, these are even rarer and the only one i turned up on an internet search was the one i sold yeasrs ago.

[quote name='steve-norris' post='7482' date='May 27 2007, 08:37 AM']They also made a semi acoustic with a thicker body and acoustic bridge, these are even rarer and the only one i turned up on an internet search was the one i sold yeasrs ago.[/quote]
I might have bought it if I'd known. Spotted one of those on the dudepit maybe a year ago ... in fact [url="http://www.vintagebass.com/thedudepit/attachment.php?attachmentid=5850&stc=1"]looking at it now[/url] I'm sure I would have bought it from you.

Andy

Edited by BigBeatNut

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='8075' date='May 28 2007, 01:49 PM']I might have bought it if I'd known. Spotted one of those on the dudepit maybe a year ago ... in fact [url="http://www.vintagebass.com/thedudepit/showthread.php?t=22538"]looking at it now[/url] I'm sure I would have bought it from you.

Andy[/quote]

Well spotted, it's not mine as it was in sunburst, very nice semi's. I used to string mine with black nylon Tape-wounds for a huge upright tone very playable compared to a lot of semi acoustics , why did i sell it, why :)

[quote name='steve-norris' post='8124' date='May 28 2007, 03:39 PM']Well spotted, it's not mine as it was in sunburst, very nice semi's. I used to string mine with black nylon Tape-wounds for a huge upright tone very playable compared to a lot of semi acoustics , why did i sell it, why :)[/quote]
Are they completely hollow ?

And what brand tapewounds did you use ?

I've found the status tapewounds to work fine for that purpose on my Status Electro, not sure they work as well on my Lakland HB. And because they're low tension, they need a lot of truss rod tweaks when you fit them.

Andy

That Charvel's great, what a looker, and I bet the Dark Star sounds great too. I must admit, I'd like a semi, I quite fancied an Epi Jack Casady, there's a nice black one on the bay right now, but as usual, I'm skint.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='8127' date='May 28 2007, 03:50 PM']Are they completely hollow ?

And what brand tapewounds did you use ?

I've found the status tapewounds to work fine for that purpose on my Status Electro, not sure they work as well on my Lakland HB. And because they're low tension, they need a lot of truss rod tweaks when you fit them.

Andy[/quote]

The surfcaster in your picture is a true acoustic but they do need the help from an amp due to the body size , mine is chambered, most of the area under the pick-guard is hollow with another chamber under the slash sound hole. On my acoustic surfcaster i used labella tape wounds which i loved, i tried a set of tru-bass tape wounds on my current charvel but hated them, the sound and the feel. After a long time using TI flats i have switched to D'addario chromes, i prefer the higher tension on this instrument they seem to bring out more of the basses true charecter.

I would love a Lakland HB with the optional darkstars, my dream bass. Next year maybe,what a pity the new Ibanez is short scale.

Edited by steve-norris

[quote name='guzzibass' post='8248' date='May 28 2007, 07:07 PM']Hi Steve - I'm really pleased with the GK you sold me - sounds great with my '79 precision. What have you done to that Charvel - is it the same one you demo'd or did you sell it and buy this'ere?
Cheers[/quote]

HI glad you like the amp, wish i could have kept it!. its the same bass but i have put one of Fred Hammons Darkstar pickups in it, sacrilege maybe but it sounds awesome, much more punch and clarity, through the GK it would have 'blown the bloody doors off' :huh: .
I have another Darkstar project bass under construction ( well in the process of being bolted together) after it,s finished i fancy a precision obviously with a darkstar :)

ps how's the gigging going ?

[quote name='Rayman' post='8273' date='May 28 2007, 07:43 PM']That Charvel's great, what a looker, and I bet the Dark Star sounds great too. I must admit, I'd like a semi, I quite fancied an Epi Jack Casady, there's a nice black one on the bay right now, but as usual, I'm skint.[/quote]

Ive seen it, its another bass on the Gas list like you i am also skint :) .
Someone on the dudepit is currently modding one for a darkstar which should be interesting as the original pickup was supposedly desinged with the help of Jack Casady, the darkstars are a recreation of the original Bi-sonic pickups as fitted to Guild Starfires as played by, youv'e guessed it, Jack Casady :huh: I have a feeling it could be a bit special.

Another option could be to have a look for an Ibanez AGB 140 and get a darkstar put in it. Total outlay could be as little as £250, ok they don't look half as good but having had one i can vouch for the fact they are great quality. The same guy who's doing the Epi documented the AGB conversion in great detail [url="http://www.vintagebass.com/thedudepit/showthread.php?t=23565"]HERE[/url] well worth a read, i have`also been eyeing a semi from Harvey benton (Thomman) which ive heard is made in the same factory as the Ibanez, go on I dare you :huh:

Edited by steve-norris

[quote name='steve-norris' post='8297' date='May 28 2007, 08:22 PM']HI glad you like the amp, wish i could have kept it!. its the same bass but i have put one of Fred Hammons Darkstar pickups in it, sacrilege maybe but it sounds awesome, much more punch and clarity, through the GK it would have 'blown the bloody doors off' :huh: .
I have another Darkstar project bass under construction ( well in the process of being bolted together) after it,s finished i fancy a precision obviously with a darkstar :)

ps how's the gigging going ?[/quote]

Looks familiar?

Not gigging yet due to personel probs - now down to a 3-piece and having to rework songs etc. Never heard of Darkstar before; but sounds interesting - not sure about sticking one on a P!! Ever tried Hagstrom swede basses?

[quote name='steve-norris' post='8289' date='May 28 2007, 08:04 PM']On my acoustic surfcaster i used labella tape wounds which i loved, i tried a set of tru-bass tape wounds on my current charvel but hated them, the sound and the feel.[/quote]
That's interesting, you and I have both found that tapewounds work well on a piezo-equipped bass, less well on a bass with mag pickups.

[quote name='steve-norris' post='8289' date='May 28 2007, 08:04 PM']I would love a Lakland HB with the optional darkstars, my dream bass. Next year maybe,what a pity the new Ibanez is short scale.[/quote]
I think maybe you should check the lakland website, I [i]think[/i] they'e discontinuing Darkstars as an option in favour of their own pickup line.

BTW if you're missing your GK 700RB115, I happen to be selling one :) (Kidding, I'm sure you must have had a reason to sell).