Why become a member? ×

Miserable time trying to get the right fretless.

xilddx

I KNOW an active Warwick Corvette fretless is what I need. I KNOW this, and have for quite a while. So why do I sell a bunch of gear off, get decent funds, then fall for the first sexy French bird I see?

I've had a few fretless basses over the last year or so, a Jap Fender Jazz Special I really liked but without the power I need. A lovely Warwick Fortress 5 that I quickly realised was wrong for me cus it had those funny lines on the board and an extra string I never made friends with, but oh, the noise it made! Then I see this French lady, who looks stunning, with lovely "come to board" eyes, and I swiftly take her for my own. I spend a good few bob on her, but she feels wrong in my hands. But the French accent, and the utterly lush poetry that she speaks with every note, is mesmerising! She speaks in a way a Warwick never can. But I play pop and dance music so I need a good, respectably dressed German chap with a loud voice, who I know I can be friends with for life, even though he'll probably be a bit oafish.

I don't know what to do, I know I won't get my money back from the French lady. A brand new German fellow to my specs will pain me because of the massive expense and depreciation, and there have been bugger all fretless Warwicks on the bay that would suit my needs. A few passive ones, but who in satan's pant wants a passive Warwick?! If the French girl goes I need to replace her sharpish because I've written lines that need a fretless and I have gigs coming up. But there's sod all S/H W out there.

What in god's name do I do? Learn French? Buy a new Warwick? There's a nice active Corvette STD on Thomann for a decent price but I can't spend any "new" money as I skint myself going to friends' stag dos and weddings recently (they cost a bloody fortune! especially when Michelin starred restaurants are involved), and interest in the French woman is muted for the money I need from it. I'm prepared to lose a few bob but I've had a couple of, frankly, very disappointing offers.

Sorry for the vent. I've never been so frustrated trying to sort a new bass. Albeit, probably all my fault for being a sucker for lovely looking things :)