Why become a member? ×

Guitar pro 5 problem

beerdragon

We Alone by Heart, we started doing it in A sharp. then dropped it to G sharp. Our singer wants to drop it to F sharp now! Its a very easy song to do for bass. but i thought i would make it even easier if i used Guitar Pro. the fretboard says its in F sharp but the sound is in the original A sharp. anyone know how to get it to F sharp?.

In Guiitar Pro go Tools -> Transpose. You can then lift it or drop it by however many semitones you like. Word of warning though, it'll try to work out the fingering for you (assuming you use both the TAB and the Standard Notation) and it's not always the best!

[quote name='Moody' post='546063' date='Jul 21 2009, 09:58 AM']In Guiitar Pro go Tools -> Transpose. You can then lift it or drop it by however many semitones you like. Word of warning though, it'll try to work out the fingering for you (assuming you use both the TAB and the Standard Notation) and it's not always the best![/quote]

:) Yes! Once you've done the transposition you'll most likely need to go through the whole tab and redo (or at least check) all the guitar and bass parts. Be prepared to be confused for a while! :wacko:

Is Guitar Pro any use? I've been looking for ages for something to do a bit of lightweight music editing (I'm interested in standard notation and doing chord charts) and everything seems way complicated and super expensive. I don't think GP can handle chord charts and lyrics can it?

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='546412' date='Jul 21 2009, 01:35 PM']Is Guitar Pro any use? I've been looking for ages for something to do a bit of lightweight music editing (I'm interested in standard notation and doing chord charts) and everything seems way complicated and super expensive. I don't think GP can handle chord charts and lyrics can it?[/quote]

It's not bad for around £30 (and a damned sight easier to use than Powertab). Unless, of course, you have around £350 available to buy Sibelius. I use it to prepare basic tabs for my students. It does both chord charts and lyrics. It'll do a job as long as you don't try to get too ambitious with it

Yes it's pretty basic compared to Sibelius and does have its limitations, but then it is around a tenth of the price.

I've attached an extract from something I worked on recently. It's a .PDF document, but was exported directly from GP5.

[attachment=29351:cant_stop_bass.pdf]

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='546453' date='Jul 21 2009, 02:04 PM']It's not bad for around £30 (and a damned sight easier to use than Powertab). Unless, of course, you have around £350 available to buy Sibelius. I use it to prepare basic tabs for my students. It does both chord charts and lyrics. It'll do a job as long as you don't try to get too ambitious with it

Yes it's pretty basic compared to Sibelius and does have its limitations, but then it is around a tenth of the price.

I've attached an extract from something I worked on recently. It's a .PDF document, but was exported directly from GP5.

[attachment=29351:cant_stop_bass.pdf][/quote]

By bizarre coincidence I was just last night trying to figure out some of the more twiddly bits in that song !!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='546477' date='Jul 21 2009, 02:15 PM']By bizarre coincidence I was just last night trying to figure out some of the more twiddly bits in that song !![/quote]

Well there you go! :) 2 answers from 1 question. I have to own up that it's not entirely my own work - sometimes it's possible to find a useable version on a Tab site like Ultimate Guitar and tweak it a little (which is what I did here) Can't guarantee absolute accuracy of the tab for that reason, but at least you get an idea of what you're getting for your money with GP5.