Why become a member? ×

Simmons Basses

beeg

Hi all,
I own a Simmons Echo bass made in the USA, I have to say it is a great bass that I picked up on evil bay a couple of years ago. I don't know much about the company, their website is very basic. Anybody else out there own one?

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='545179' date='Jul 20 2009, 11:06 AM']Didn't bobpalt or whatever his username is sell that on ebay? Was it him? I remember the bass for certain and was tempted by it.[/quote]

Absolutely right. It was mine. I imported it from the States after looking at it on the Bunnybass site for ages, trying to decide whether I thought it was the most beautiful bass I had ever seen, or was I starting to lose it........... From memory, after paying the import tax and duties, etc., it cost me about £1,200 or so, and I was very pleased when it arrived.

Problem was, it was just too pretty to gig with, as at the time, we were doing mainly pubs and British Legion clubs. It wouldnt stand up either, but that was a minor problem. It sounded superb, especially on 18v, and was superbly tactile, with a body and neck to die for. The other basses in the Simmons range were all pretty ugly though (I think one of the ugliest was called Taurus or something similar), and to this day, I have never seen another Echo for sale. either here or on US ebay. I was told that Simmons were quite a new company, I think Mr Simmons himself was an ex serviceman who retired into the world of luthiery, but would be going places. I cant knock his skills, as it really was a lovely bass, made with top quality woods, as long as you liked the shape.

I seem to remember reading a test review in one of the American mags once?

Nice to see her go to a good home.
Cheers,

Bob