Why become a member? ×

Bass Bridges

WHUFC BASS

Lately I've seen a lot of after-market bass bridge on Ebay and I can't help but think they look a lot like the bridges used on a lot of medium to high end basses that are made in Korea and the Far-East. For example I have seen the Traben bridges on Ebay being sold for about 15 quid or thereabouts. Same goes for some Ibanez bridges too. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking them for using these parts but was just wondering if these come from the same OEM manufacturers that the big companies use. I know they are many different makes made in the one factory so I am assuming this to be the case. Any thoughts?

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='540534' date='Jul 14 2009, 05:44 PM']Lately I've seen a lot of after-market bass bridge on Ebay and I can't help but think they look a lot like the bridges used on a lot of medium to high end basses that are made in Korea and the Far-East. For example I have seen the Traben bridges on Ebay being sold for about 15 quid or thereabouts. Same goes for some Ibanez bridges too. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking them for using these parts but was just wondering if these come from the same OEM manufacturers that the big companies use. I know they are many different makes made in the one factory so I am assuming this to be the case. Any thoughts?[/quote]

they used to say this about film as well...but i always bought fuji film

its a bit of a vague area...the word used to be that quality control was better on the fuji line and the other cheapie films were sub grades just like factory outlets etc

you would need to see both bridges together to assess quality and finish and other factors like engineering tolerances and fit

the lesser grade may be sold at cost being subsidised by the upper grade item
the manufacturer then doesnt have material loss and lost labour as an overhead

costing is a neat science and at the end of the day you have raw materials, setting costs, times to machine, machinery write off costings etc
against this is income from sales etc....not what you sell but how much you get across the whole spectrum of a line output
good and bad

i still feel most folks think the higher the cost the better the item and its inherent use

:)