Why become a member? ×

5 String Bass Tuition Books

sdgrsr400

I've been looking at tuition books specifically aimed at the 5-string bass, having recently acquired one. The selection I've seen hasn't been to great, so I thought it might be useful to have a thread about them. I've listed the ones I can find below. Further input welcome.

Learn to Play 5-String Bass by Mike Hiland. I bought this one, as compared with the next one it seemed to cover more ground. The accompanying CD has the author introducing each track, which is unnecessary, but with the right digital audio workstation (like Reaper) one can chop out the chat. Relatively old, originally written in 1992 but doesn't seem particularly out-of-date in practice.

5-String Bass Method by Brian Emmel. I browsed this in a shop and it seemed rather repetitive and not very useful. However others might disagree.

Progressive 5 String Bass by Stefan Richter. Looks interesting but couldn't find it. Opinions?

Any other good material out there specifically for 5-string?

[quote name='sdgrsr400' post='539528' date='Jul 13 2009, 06:14 PM']I've been looking at tuition books specifically aimed at the 5-string bass, having recently acquired one. The selection I've seen hasn't been to great, so I thought it might be useful to have a thread about them. I've listed the ones I can find below. Further input welcome.

Learn to Play 5-String Bass by Mike Hiland. I bought this one, as compared with the next one it seemed to cover more ground. The accompanying CD has the author introducing each track, which is unnecessary, but with the right digital audio workstation (like Reaper) one can chop out the chat. Relatively old, originally written in 1992 but doesn't seem particularly out-of-date in practice.

5-String Bass Method by Brian Emmel. I browsed this in a shop and it seemed rather repetitive and not very useful. However others might disagree.

Progressive 5 String Bass by Stefan Richter. Looks interesting but couldn't find it. Opinions?

Any other good material out there specifically for 5-string?[/quote]

I had another one of Brian Emmel's 5 string books. It might have been good with a little more explanation. Lots of exercises without context are not a great deal of use. It was further confused by a lot of USA-esque terminology (e.g., what the hell's a "cookie cutter"?). A big thumbs down for me.

A method for 5 string is not greatly different from that for a 4 string IMO- not enough to warrant a whole different approach. What are you looking to get from a method? Technical tips (finger placement or technique)? Ideas for lines? Something else? All of the above?

I find it helps not to think of them as separate instruments, and as a result they don't require separate techniques. What you already know about bass still applies, you just have a few extra notes to play with.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='540651' date='Jul 14 2009, 08:08 PM']A method for 5 string is not greatly different from that for a 4 string IMO- not enough to warrant a whole different approach. What are you looking to get from a method? Technical tips (finger placement or technique)? Ideas for lines? Something else? All of the above?

I find it helps not to think of them as separate instruments, and as a result they don't require separate techniques. What you already know about bass still applies, you just have a few extra notes to play with.[/quote]

+1 to this quote. At first it's tempting to use all those low D's & C's , but you soon realise it's about using them tastefully. Make sure you learn your scales & arpeggios down that end too...

Cheers,
iamthewalrus.