Why become a member? ×

String spacing help

Metalmoore

I am having 2 basses made and would like them to have the same string spacing for obvious ease of transition between the two basses. But one will be a five string fenderbird and the other will be a 4 string jazz. I am using 2 Schaller 3D bridges one has 19mm standard spacing the other is 16mm. What spacing can i get that they both can have.

The diagrams are available here on the schaller site [url="http://bass-stege.de/hp135061/3-D4.htm?ITServ=C4588028X12274b2b35bX688d"]4 string[/url] [url="http://bass-stege.de/hp135111/3-D5.htm?ITServ=C4588028X12274b2b35bX688d"]5 string[/url]

Cheers, Andrew

Well i have the schaller 4 and it seems great but it has a 19mm spacing with 4.3mm adjustability but i would like to use the 5 string roller version but it only has 16mm with a 3mm adjustability.
What i really wanna know is string spacings i could get with the both of them that they have in common so i would have 2 basses with the same string spacing.
But if i could try a 16mm spaced bass and if its comforatble then it would probably be fine with a 19mm and a 16mm. But does those 3 mm make that much of a difference?? If anyone can tell me if this 3mm difference will make much of a difference i think i might be able to make my mind up easier.

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='542426' date='Jul 16 2009, 05:11 PM']Well i have the schaller 4 and it seems great but it has a 19mm spacing with 4.3mm adjustability but i would like to use the 5 string roller version but it only has 16mm with a 3mm adjustability.
What i really wanna know is string spacings i could get with the both of them that they have in common so i would have 2 basses with the same string spacing.
But if i could try a 16mm spaced bass and if its comforatble then it would probably be fine with a 19mm and a 16mm. But does those 3 mm make that much of a difference?? If anyone can tell me if this 3mm difference will make much of a difference i think i might be able to make my mind up easier.[/quote]

the badass is still an option but ugly angles would result you might still get down to 17mm which is close...i had a schaller 4 roller bridge and remember its not got that great amount of ajustment..