Why become a member? ×

Low Output Fender pups

Just aquired a nondescript Jazz from Sifi2112...Blows my CIJ away, sounds like a 60's Jazz and has an amazing neck!! Strangely,the Fender noiseless pups [no idea why they're called noiseless] are very low output compared to the CIJ but read 10k on my Megga whilst the CIJ's only read 5k.......Can anyone enlighten me?............Simon's a great guy to deal with by the way.

DC Resistance is not actually a good measure of a pickup's output - it is just a measure of the resistance and other factors come into play for the actual output. But it's often used as a convenient way of predicting output, since it's probably the only factor that can be measured easily. As you've discovered, a high DC resistance does not guarantee a high output.

The Fender "Noiseless" pickups may actually be humbuckers - that would explain the high DC resistance. They're called "noiseless" because the design is meant to minimise hum and noise.

Theyre called noiseless because theyre designed a bit like Lace sensors to reject hum. A lot of reviews say theyre low output, no idea why but reckon theyre designed that way to avoid producing hum. Have you got the same impedance pots in the CIJ AND your new no-name jazz?

[quote name='Spartacus' post='538132' date='Jul 11 2009, 08:17 PM']Theyre called noiseless because theyre designed a bit like Lace sensors to reject hum. A lot of reviews say theyre low output, no idea why but reckon theyre designed that way to avoid producing hum. Have you got the same impedance pots in the CIJ AND your new no-name jazz?[/quote]
..NO IDEA :) Will take a look ..Thanks guys

the meter readings on a pup could be for single coil or double coil stacked
stacked could be wired internally series so giving a lower dc resistance
this happens on a jazz pup when you use both pups against one
one is 7
two is 3.5
but since its two its double the output within reason

live with it and enjoy...it aint broke.. :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='mrcrow' post='542405' date='Jul 16 2009, 04:50 PM']the meter readings on a pup could be for single coil or double coil stacked
stacked could be wired internally series so giving a lower dc resistance
this happens on a jazz pup when you use both pups against one
one is 7
two is 3.5
but since its two its double the output within reason

live with it and enjoy...it aint broke.. :) :rolleyes:[/quote]
Good Advice!! As this happens to be the best Jazz I've ever owned, and I've had the lot - I have no intention of 'messin' with it...