Why become a member? ×

my visit to the bass gallery

charic

Well during the week myself and my rather bored looking girlfriend had a "quick visit2 into the bass gallery. Where I tried out some amazing basses. First and foremost was a dingwall 5 string super J. It was a lovely beast probably the nicest playing bass I have tried. The fanned frets felt absolutely natural except while 2 finger tapping.

2nd was a 6 string sei singlecut, poplar burl. Played well but as said before on this site very polite sounding. I failed to get a real rock tone out of it and the output seemed fairly low in comparison to other basses through the same rig. Although I didnt mess around with the EQ on the amp as I was checking more for playability of basses on the visit and trying some higher end stuff I hadnt before.

Last I tried a 6 string status. I loved the neck, the graphite really is a work of art. It was a green 6 string stealth, sound was good if not QUITE to my taste I felt with more tweaking i could of managed to find a sound that had really tweaked.

I had trouble playing the basses by the way do to trapping myt right hand thumb in the hinge of my door and having to have the nail drilled to release the pressure :)

The staff seemed great and even allowed me a little look round their workshop downstairs :rolleyes:

gotta run now,
rik

Ahh...the Gallery - a wondrous establishment (with some lovely and massively talented staff!). Are you sure the Singlecut was poplar burl? If it's the used (but mint!) one, it used to be mine and I think the top is Amboina - I can't quite remember. It plays absolutely beautifully and the output is/was fine - indeed, it's very even across the range (though, I too think the bass sounds fairly polite - perfect for some situations and tastes and a super bass for fast, jazzy riffing).

Ah it could of been, it looked like dark poplar burl. But that was just a guess. Yes very even sound and I guess that yes it would of worked well for fast riffs. However with my semi-retarded thumb playing fast was beyond me :)

Not that I play jazz anyway :ph34r: