Why become a member? ×

Speaker recommendations

john_the_bass

[quote name='bumnote' post='532651' date='Jul 4 2009, 09:40 PM']I understand that a company might fit the cheapest speaker it can get away with, but why not port it properly, surely that costs nothing[/quote]
You'd certainly think so, wouldn't you? Actually, the porting wasn't a million miles out. I measured one bass guitar cab (quite an old one) that was tuned to 70Hz. In the Mini 15, Ashdown used a standard, moulded port from one of the usual trade suppliers: I've seen it before. It really needed to be one or two inches longer but I imagine they thought it was close enough and nobody would notice any difference. Which is the same reason why they couldn't be arsed putting 50 pence worth of BAF wadding in the cab. I'm afraid this is the kind of thing that goes on all the time.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='532664' date='Jul 4 2009, 10:06 PM']I have a pair of ABM Minis with Celestion Neo 12's in them-same size cabinet. I'm delighted with them-I bought them from Nick Carey, who told me they were customised by somebody who does such things, whose name I forget. Drop him a PM and I'm sure he'll fill you in.[/quote]
I didn't realize the cab was quite so small when I bought it, but my plan now is to fit a 12" driver into it. I would imagine it's really nice with the Celestion neo 12 in there. Great size and weight, too.

Edited by stevie