Why become a member? ×

My band's 2 new songs!

Jam

The opening vocals to bleedin BB are off by quite a lot.... until he sings really high and really low! It has good dynamic variation, and I can imagine people moshing to this (even though I'm not into metal). turn up the guitars and make them sound more 'chunky'. Buy a guitar with lots of pickups. Hate to say it, but the vocalist sounds quite annoying - a bit too much range a bit too quickly.... like yodeling - but not as bad! Nice riffs, but yeah, less of the low grunting - doesn't really sound... great. Dunno why - just doesn't seem to fit. i'm not really into heavy metal, so I can't really comment! The guitars sound really nice - but I can [b]barely[/b] hear the bass - if at all - and can hear it well in codex.
Codex is good si far (30 secs in). Whispering sounds cool! Again, not into heavy metal, so the rest of the song doesn't make sense to me!

[quote name='Jam' post='526396' date='Jun 27 2009, 11:33 PM']Please be brutally honest, I've heard enough "It's really good!"s, would like to hear some "needs more/less" etc:

www.myspace.com/hellshrine

Cheers![/quote]

Here goes then. First thing, the material really isnt bad at all. Musicianship is pretty good too. As said above the vocals are pretty awful. Melodyne will sort this if your singer can't. The production isn't very good either I'm afraid. Guitars need to be much more in yer face in this genre. Drums need to sound huge (they sound puny and as if they are being played in the back of a deep dark cave.) 2 reasons for this: too much of a bad sounding room in the mix and too much reverb. Bass is non-existent. I'd guess this is because the control room in the studio is not treated well. The bass in the room becomes overwhelming so the mixer backs off resulting in weak bass. Hope this helps. As ever... ymmv

Edit: and I'm not listening on laptop speakers but on Adam s3as though cranesong converters in a treated room

Edited by Rimskidog

[quote name='Jam' post='528425' date='Jun 30 2009, 10:43 AM']Thanks for taking time out to listen. Production was quick, we only recorded for 2 days, and paid about £150 in total. It sounded quite good in the studio, guitars sounded pretty beefy (tracked 4 times!..) , the bass was clear and the drums DID sound huge. Ah well, I see the points you're making though, and I really appreciate it.

If we had more time/money I imagine things would have turned out a bit differently![/quote]

Yup. Sounds like you got what you paid for!

• 1 month later...

The vocals are still quite off I think on bleeding black. I'm not using my proper earphones (I'm using the ipod ones at the moment!). You really need to get him to concentrate on the pitching rather than the emotion in the voice. Especially on 'look up to [b]the[/b] skies.' Otherwise it's pretty cool!