Why become a member? ×

Jazz project

teaser360

im thinking about starting a jazz project, i have a richwood jazz copy and have learned that its got a real wood body, unsure what wood though, good basis for a start, what im after is stripping and taking it down to bear wood and oil or stain it and fit a maple neck, seymour duncan hot pups, and a decent bridge.
i will start stripping and sanding the body next week and start posting pics, would love to get the wood back to something like this pic of steves franken p.
could someone tell me what basswood is, what sort of finish could i acheive from basswood? This is my first project and if all goes well will do another.

[quote name='teaser360' post='523256' date='Jun 25 2009, 07:51 AM']im thinking about starting a jazz project, i have a richwood jazz copy and have learned that its got a real wood body, unsure what wood though, good basis for a start, what im after is stripping and taking it down to bear wood and oil or stain it and fit a maple neck, seymour duncan hot pups, and a decent bridge.
i will start stripping and sanding the body next week and start posting pics, would love to get the wood back to something like this pic of steves franken p.
could someone tell me what basswood is, what sort of finish could i acheive from basswood? This is my first project and if all goes well will do another.[/quote]

That looks like ash to me. You will not get lovely grain patterns like that in basswood. Basswood is pretty plain. See here for more info about woods:

[url="http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/Options/WoodDescriptions.aspx"]http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/Options/WoodDescriptions.aspx[/url]

[quote name='teaser360' post='523256' date='Jun 25 2009, 07:51 AM']im thinking about starting a jazz project, i have a richwood jazz copy and have learned that its got a real wood body, unsure what wood though, good basis for a start, what im after is stripping and taking it down to bear wood and oil or stain it and fit a maple neck, seymour duncan hot pups, and a decent bridge.
could someone tell me what basswood is, what sort of finish could i acheive from basswood? This is my first project and if all goes well will do another.[/quote]

If your bass is made from basswood, then you definately wont get it to look like a bass made from ash! :rolleyes:

Basswood is kinda bland and iniform, it doesnt have much in the way of grain at all - most basswood instruments are painted. Basswood sands to a nice uniform flatness, unlike ash which needs to be filled to get a good flat finish, so is easier to paint.

EDIT: Doh - Neepheid got in there just before me! :)

Edited by Mikey R