Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MIM Jazz Advice

Dizzy_G

Been lurking for a while and require some help so time for my first post.

Would this [url="http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=121250&cpage=2#poststart"]MIM[/url] be considered good value? Just happened to come across it and it caught my eye. I would have no problems with assembly and electronics as I am pretty handy that way.
Is a MIM jazz worth 200-250 plus extras required to finish it? From what I know (and I could be very wrong with this statement so feel free to educate me) MIM Jazz's are pretty good but the electronics are usually poor?

Any advice would be very welcome.
Thanks
D_G

A bit of background, I played bass when I was younger and have picked it up again 12 years on, literally starting from scratch again, have been to the doctor and diagnosed with the first symptoms of GAS.

It seems a bit pricey to me considering its missing tuners and electrics. I'd say you're looking at roughly an extra 30-40 pounds maybe a bit less for those bits plus then consider you may want to change the pups.
body doesnt look in particularly good nick either...
I'd reccomend doing a search around the for sale section for past mexican Fenders that have been sold recently for a good idea. perhaps put a post in the wanted area?
I vaguely remember seeing a working one that was a little tatty cosmetically go for around the 200 pound mark.

I have the same colour and looking at it, roughly same age mex jazz. I changed the electronics and love it.
I'd say buy one thats complete and usable now and then start tinkering with it.

Woo another Irish user.

Stu-khag, you say the 200 pound mark, well for postage from England to Ireland and then the price its probably 300 + euros. I would though get a bass thats complete now.

Also with MIMs i would very inclined to play them first, ive played some that have been good, and otheres that have sounded as good as MIA's and then plenty of crap ones.
There was a 5er MIM going for 550 on that aswell thats looks pretty good.

Remember over here a new MIM costs 750 and a MIA costs 1450 just about.

Hey lads,
Thanks for all the replies. Having considered the price asking and the distance to get to it i think i will pass. I only discovered the adverts site the other day so I’ll keep my eye on it for a complete bass, not really in any major rush to be honest.

Howya fatgoogle, yeah been visiting the site for a while but never really needed to post. There are plenty of good deals in the UK alright but the shipping is a killer, going to the US in September but I’m sure customs would have a field day with me if I had a bass under my arm, flying through Shannon so might be worth a shot.

Thanks D_G

[quote]Remember over here a new MIM costs 750 and a MIA costs 1450 just about[/quote]

sheesh quite expensive!
I bought my mex Jazz bass in 2000 in Cardiff for £340 so there's inflation for ya!
Im not sure what the prices are like now but a few years ago when I lived in west wales I managed to get a foot passenger ferry and rail return from carmarthen to Rosslare (including a bus to Wexford) for 13 pounds! if it was still that kind of price I'd say come over and get one. (I doubt thats much of an easy option though!)

Edited by Stu-khag

Hey Stu,
Yeah I am keeping my eye out for one's in the UK, even a cheap ryanair flight may be worth a trip with the good sterling conversion at the moment.
I'm not in any major rush I just thought it may have been good value. I'll prob make a cheap offer and see what happens, worst he can do is say no and it means no driving for me.

D_G

I was born in Tipp aswell, just near fethard. Small world.

Theres a couple of other sites that are good to look on, you may know them may not.

Donedeal.ie
Thump.com i think its called.
Buyandsell.ie
gumtree.ie has a bit of turn over

Ive found adverts to be the best though.

Thanks fatgoogle,

Only discovered adverts the other day, one of the guys at work was talking about it. gumtree I had seen but it is not great, buyandsell is good too. I'll check out donedeal and thump, I never heard of those.
From Nenagh originally so not too far from fethard.

D_G