Why become a member? ×

Anyone with a P bass and a tape measure handy?!

jasperok

Having some issues with the sound of my bass - I upgraded from 2 dirty humbuckers to a lindy fralin P/J set up.

I would like to change it to just a P setup but beforei get carefree with a router i want to get some ballpark figures

maybe they exist somewhere i dont know - but if you have a moment to spare i'd reall appreicate the following info:

Nut to bridge saddle distance
Bridge saddle to " (E/A) pickup" (centreline)
Bridge saddle to " (D/G) pickup" (centreline)
Nut to " (E/A) pickup" (centreline)
Nut to " (D/G) pickup" (centreline)
End of fret board to " (E/A) pickup" (centreline)
End of fret board to " (D/G) pickup" (centreline)
and centreline to centreline distance between the EA and DG Pups.

I dont plan on using the info to copy exactly especially as my bass is not a p or j bass body but i can work out the percentages and it will give me a good operating window to work with -
Also the less wood i route out in expeimenting the better as lesss wood will not have a good effect on the tone.

Thanks to anyone who can spare the time

Cheers

roughly... on JV squier '57

Nut to bridge saddle distance 866mm (G sring) - 874mm (E string)
nut to screws on fender style bridge: 894mm

Bridge saddle to " (E/A) pickup" (centreline) which bridge saddle? pointless
Bridge saddle to " (D/G) pickup" (centreline)
Nut to " (E/A) pickup" (centreline) 716mm
Nut to " (D/G) pickup" (centreline) 742mm
End of fret board to " (E/A) pickup" (centreline) 111mm again a bit pointless, i measured on the E and G strings, but dependent on curve on end of fretboard and distance from 20th fret to end (which is about 11mm)
End of fret board to " (D/G) pickup" (centreline) 139
and centreline to centreline distance between the EA and DG Pups. they are touching... maths should make that 0.5d of EApup and 0.5d of DG pup. then the distance will be d, or the width of the pup.

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='521872' date='Jun 23 2009, 05:14 PM']and centreline to centreline distance between the EA and DG Pups. they are touching... maths should make that 0.5d of EApup and 0.5d of DG pup. then the distance will be d, or the width of the pup.[/quote]

don't they overlap though? so surely that doesn't work. i make it about 35mm, but thats really roughly done. that shouldn't matter anyway if its not a p-bass, you need to string the bass, then put the pups in a position where the pole pieces are roughly underneath the strings (or either side of the strings, depending on what pups you're using, some have only 2 pole pieces per pup, some have 4), make sure it looks ok, and then use that position. obviously you'll want to check they're centred and everything, but thats how i'd measure how much the pups overlap.

EDIT: oh wait, are we talking height or length? i was talking length, but i think LukeFRC was talking height. so i was imagining the centrelines to go vertical between the E pole piece and the A pole piece, and the other centreline verticle between the D and G pole pieces.

Edited by Tait

[quote name='jasperok' post='522226' date='Jun 24 2009, 12:16 AM']wow!
what a gent
thankyou for your time dude
i really appreciate it[/quote]

no bother, i made my own bass with a MM pup and it took me a while and asking to find out where it should go, so glad to be helpful :)