Why become a member? ×

after some advice on orange cabs

ray_6ao7

thinking about getting a new cab and i'm torn between orange/ampeg

originally i was thinking about an ampeg 6x10 but having second thoughts and leaning towards maybe getting 2 orange 4x10's instead?
so...has anyone used orange cabs and could you offer me any advice on them please...

thanks in advance

ray

I personally use the 4x10 and 1x15. People are split on them I guess. They are heavy, old school tone rock n roll cabs. The 1x15 did do excellently in a Tom Bowlus shootout that he held for a magazine in the US... and Tom stated the cab was capable of a lot for a 1x15 old style cab. Especially its clarity in the higher register.

They suit the Orange sound down to a tee, they are very strong, very nice looking cabs. But they are quite heavy. but, if you dont care about that, then you will like :)

If you like thick throaty and chunky bass, they might be for you. I certainly prefer them to Ampeg, and I own an 8x10...which is actually going this weekend as I much prefer Aguilar/Orange cabs.

I know the bassist from Every Time I Die used 2 x 4x10 on one of their tours, and I emailed him a lot about them. Now he wants the Orange 8x10...(weighs about 200lbs I think...new version due out soon).

Youll get the whole 'Matamp is better' etc....and I no doubt imagine Matamp are amazing. But...I just like the Orange gear. It the first time I tested something and thought 'sh*t, not only is this loud, it has perfect low end, clarity and isnt as bad as a 8x10 to get around'.

Anyway...best thing is to try...one thing you will get is excellent customer service. I have emailed them a few times about getting covers, and little bits n bobs, and they replied within minutes.

I am biased though...I love Orange tube amps for bass or guitar...and the cabs suit them well.

I will say I dont think the 4x10 is as heavy as the guitar 4x12...so at least you dont have that problem. Now they DO weigh a lot...ive carried one a few times.

Test em :rolleyes:

Edited by Musicman20

Just for reference, le review on the 1x15:

"Orange OBC-115 - This cab was a bit of a surprise, as I had mostly just played it with the matching 4x10 and the AD200 head. I was really amazed at what a great stand alone cab it makes. Very full, very strong, very tight low B. Great articulation and growl on the low B. Not quite as full on the low B as the HT115, but closer than any other cab, and more articulate and controlled. I found myself just pounding away on the low B for the sheer joy of it. On the E-A strings, it was again not quite as full as the HT115 (and not as close as it was on the low :), and again more aggressive and articulate than the Berg. There is no tweeter (and no tweeter sheen), but it offers very impressive high end information, all things considered. It is not as dark sounding as the newer Trace cab, but more balanced, more articulate, and more powerful. On the whole, the competitor that most closely matches its performance is the older Trace 1153."

Orange all the way, Ampeg are...overrated?
I've tried MANY Ampeg heads and cabs and NONE deliver for me.
Orange isn't to my taste exactly for bass, just a trebble, mid and bass EQ and that's it? Not enough!
However the cabs are cool, if a little...Orange. :rolleyes:
But the volume and clarity, not to mention unmatched build quality.

My guitarist has an Orange Rockerverb 50watt and DUDE that amp is the sh*t!!!
Loud at less than half way, PURE metal tone and at the same time, as bluesy as you like.
They are old rock n roll amps but are making a name nowerdays in metal.
Architects and Slipknot use them, and Wes Borland from Limp Bizkit as just dumped his Mesa's for some Orange action...it's a revolution!

Bass must be the same.
Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Bass Tiny Terror runs 500 watts through both 8 and 4 ohms...how I dunno.

Go for the Orange if you want volume and a full bodied sound .
Go for the Ampeg if you want that Ampeg tone...but an Ampeg is an Ampeg...
It's up to you.

And please, DO NOT go on weight unless you have a REALLY bad disability...You carry it out once and in once, with help from folk.
Once it's down it's down. I use Trace Elliot amps and they are renowned for being heavy and I would NOT swap my 4x10 for a Markbass cab any day!
Take sound and build quality over lightweight anyday mate. :)

Edited by Kongo

Apparently...the 1000W Bass Terror is actually coming out. 1000W....hahahaha.

No doubt a dual amp...but...we shall see. I emailed them, and they said they are tweaking and testing it. 500W version is nearly out though.

I didnt know about the ohms issue...hmm...maybe we shall find out soon :)

Agreed...a lot of the bands are ditching Marshall/Mesa guitar stuff for Orange. I was going to go full on Ampeg....but it just wasnt right for me.

My friend has the 410E Ampeg...and the Orange OBC 4x10 slays it. It sounds much fuller and warmer. Even he noticed that. They are roughly the same weight....the Ampeg being about 7-8 lbs lighter. Did used to be the same price....not sure now. If you shop around, the UK shops are bound to do a better deal on Orange as its UK built, and probably easier for them to get in. I got my setup before the price hike.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='521300' date='Jun 22 2009, 11:20 PM']Apparently...the 1000W Bass Terror is actually coming out. 1000W....hahahaha.

No doubt a dual amp...but...we shall see. I emailed them, and they said they are tweaking and testing it. 500W version is nearly out though.

I didnt know about the ohms issue...hmm...maybe we shall find out soon :)

Agreed...a lot of the bands are ditching Marshall/Mesa guitar stuff for Orange. I was going to go full on Ampeg....but it just wasnt right for me.

My friend has the 410E Ampeg...and the Orange OBC 4x10 slays it. It sounds much fuller and warmer. Even he noticed that. They are roughly the same weight....the Ampeg being about 7-8 lbs lighter. Did used to be the same price....not sure now. If you shop around, the UK shops are bound to do a better deal on Orange as its UK built, and probably easier for them to get in. I got my setup before the price hike.[/quote]

It's not cheap, I shall forewarn.
Guitarists Rockerverb was £1500 for 50watts, though he got it 2nd hand for £850.
But that's a combo, cabs will be less but still costly.

The Tiny Terror is already out I think, pumping 500 watts, valve/SS hybrid.
It's great but short on options...trebble, mid and bass...that's it for options!
The new Orange stuff seems to be white too...maybe people got off put by the colour but wanted the amp so Orange made an alternative?

Good choice though and remember, you can always fit casters to wheel it along. :rolleyes: