Why become a member? ×

Cleaning coated strings?

arabassist

[quote name='arabassist' post='519731' date='Jun 21 2009, 12:48 AM']I'm thinking of getting coated strings due to their longer life. I assume i'll still have to clean them to keep their life long? What do people suggest i use, WD40?

Cheers[/quote]

You absolutely don't need to clean them... Just a quick wipe down with a dry cloth when you're finished playing. Make sure you're getting underneath the strings while you're doing this, as that's a prime place for build up.

(Even with normal, uncoated strings def not wd-40! It might transfer onto that nice, uncoated rosewood fingerboard on the bass in your avatar, possibly staining it and, at least, making it slippy and smelly!)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='arabassist' post='519731' date='Jun 21 2009, 12:48 AM']I'm thinking of getting coated strings due to their longer life. I assume i'll still have to clean them to keep their life long? What do people suggest i use, WD40?

Cheers[/quote]

a micro fibre cloth is best imho

and if you want to use some cleaning fluid use something which evaporates quick...meths for instance..smelly but sure

the coatings shouldnt let any moisture or cleaining liquid get into the wraps ...