Why become a member? ×

Finally going to learn some theory

arabassist

After playing for over a year now, i think it's time to finally learn some proper music theory. I wanna be able to improvise and jam some music properly on my own and with other musicians (mainly guitarists), as opposed what i've been doing which is just developing on bass covers of songs. I think i'm able to develop some nice rhthyms and grooves off the top of my head, but i find it hard to figure out which notes should be played, what chord change to follow, etc.

The guy teaching me some theory is one of my best mates and he's a pianist, not a bassist. would this be a problem? is there anything in music theory that's 'bass-specific' that i should look out for?

Along with learning theory, what else should I work on?

Cheers

I think the fact that he's a pianist shouldn't be an issue as he's playing a chordal instrument. It might actually be more of a benefit as pianists play both the bass part & chords pretty much at the same time. He could probably teach you quite a bit about how chords & scales work together, as well as improving your melodic sense as well.

Lets us all know how you get on.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

You're better off learning theory from a pianist-they usually have more understanding than the majority of bass and guitar players.
There is really nothing bass specific to look out for-the theory will be the same,the difference is more about how you will
apply it on you instrument.