Why become a member? ×

E String Tension?

boabskiboab

You're absolutely certain you're using the same gauges on both? If the basses are the same scale length (should be), set up correctly and in tune they should be under the same tension in order to provide the same fundamental frequency (at least approximately). That said, the '62 is likely to produce less fundamental than the deluxe and so have smaller string excursion, which might be perceived as having less 'slack', and so higher tension. I'm neglecting any higher order effects here, but I would be surprised if these could make a significant difference to the actual tension (equally, real world physics are not always intuitive, so who knows?).

[quote name='danlea' post='518304' date='Jun 19 2009, 12:47 PM']You're absolutely certain you're using the same gauges on both? If the basses are the same scale length (should be), set up correctly and in tune they should be under the same tension in order to provide the same fundamental frequency (at least approximately). That said, the '62 is likely to produce less fundamental than the deluxe and so have smaller string excursion, which might be perceived as having less 'slack', and so higher tension. I'm neglecting any higher order effects here, but I would be surprised if these could make a significant difference to the actual tension (equally, real world physics are not always intuitive, so who knows?).[/quote]

Yeah they both have the same guage strings.

Both sound as i would want them to sound, so you may be right about my perceptions being off. I have been thinking about getting rid of the special so i may be creating flaws in my mind to convince me.

I had the same strings on a reverse headstock jazz and my through strung P, anf there was a very noticeable difference in the string tension, the jazz felt much slacker, but the setup was better, the action probably influences the perception of tension on the left hand, but the right hand its more picking position.

[quote name='boabskiboab' post='518171' date='Jun 19 2009, 10:45 AM']Hey,

I have two P Basses.

A MIJ 62 RI and a MIM Deluxe Special.

Both necks are set perfect for me and both stung with D'Addario xl165 45-105.

Both Maple/Rosewood Necks.

Is there any reason why I get far more E string tension on the 62 rather than the special?[/quote]

you shouldnt...but not all things are equal...even similar string makes could have slight differences
wraps and core etc
really though if you can feel a difference then the gauge must be slightly different